Watermelon is a perfect fruit to consume during summer. It is an excellent source of electrolytes which helps to stay hydrated as it is full of water! Watermelon juice is one of the best ways to enjoy this delicious healthy fruit. Please check more information on how to introduce juices to babies here.
When to introduce watermelon for babies:
How to select watermelon:
Let’s get on to check how to make the healthy watermelon juice for babies, toddlers, and kids.
- Watermelon - 2 cups chopped
- Honey - 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt - a pinch (optional)
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp (from half of a small lemon)
- Wash the watermelon in running water thoroughly. Then remove the outer layer using a big knife and chop them into cubes.
- Transfer the chopped watermelon cubes to the blender along with honey(if using), salt and lemon juice. Blend it for 10 seconds. Don't grind too long as you might grind the seeds also.
- Now Strain through a strainer and collect the juice in a vessel.
Serve the watermelon juice fresh!
- You could make this watermelon juice without lemon too. And avoid lemon juice if your child has a citrus allergy.
- Skip honey if the watermelons are sweet enough.
- Don’t blend for too long, as you might grind the seeds which makes the juice to taste bitter.
- Always serve the juice fresh.
- You can add ice cubes to the juice if you want it more chilled. But it’s not advisable for small children.
- Always remember that breastmilk or formula should be major for babies until one year. Hence prefer juices occasionally or when the baby is sick.
- If making this juice for babies of age 6-12 months, Skip honey, salt and ice cubes.