Vegetables Nuts Pulao: Easy, quick, one pot meal made with vegetables, nuts, and rice in a pressure cooker. Pulaos or biryanis are one of the best ways to sneak in vegetables to fussy eaters diet. Also, it's apt for the lunch box too. Like other rice varieties, this vegetable nuts pulao also can be done in a jiffy and goes well with plain curd or any raita. This vegetable nuts pulao can be given to babies from one year once the baby started eating all family foods.
Here is how to make an easy vegetable nuts pulao recipe for toddlers and kids.
Vegetables Nuts Pulao Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Basmati Rice or any rice - 1 cup
- Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1 optional
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Tsp
- Vegetables* - 3/4 cup chopped
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Mint leaves - a handful
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Nuts - 2 tbsp cashews & almonds
- Lemon Juice - 1 Tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 1 small
- Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
* I used 1 carrot, 10 beans, a handful of peas and 1 small potato
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Wash and Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces. Slit green chilies. Roughly chop coriander & mint leaves. Set aside. Wash rice and soak it in water for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee. Add all the items to temper. Let it crackle. Then add onions along with ginger garlic paste. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions become transparent, add tomatoes and green chilies (if using). Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and becomes mushy.
- Now add chopped coriander and mint leaves together. Saute it until it shrinks and raw smell completely leaves.
- Then Add chopped veggies, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and required salt. Give a quick stir. Then add soaked rice and mix well.
- Add coconut milk and required water. Bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of a pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three whistles.
- In the meantime, ghee fry the nuts until golden. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and add ghee fried nuts & lemon juice!
- You can skip coconut milk and add water instead.
- Add powdered nuts for kids less than 2 years as whole nuts may lead to choking hazard.
- Make sure to introduce all vegetables and nuts separate before you try this pulao.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this pulao.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.