Ragi Idli, Dosa – one of the best healthy wholesome breakfast for kids and the whole family! I have already posted the recipe for instant ragi dosa and fermented ragi dosa with urad dal . This is another version of making ragi idli & dosa using a single batter ground with mixie. It yields soft idlis and crispy dosas. This ragi idli, dosa can be given to babies from 8 months after introducing ragi and urad dal separate.
Now let’s get on to check how to make ragi idli, dosa recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
Ragi Idli Dosa Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Ragi flour - 2 cups
- Idli Rice - 1 cup
- Urad dal - 1/2 cup
- Methi/fenugreek seeds - 1.5 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Crystal salt - 2 tsp or adjust as per taste
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately for three hours at least.
- Start grinding the urad dal with fenugreek seeds first by adding little water in frequent intervals. When the bubbles starts to appear and the batter is fluffy, it's done. I have added approximately one cup of water to grind the urad dal.
- Then add the ragi flour to the urad dal batter and run the blender. Blend it until the ragi combined well with urad dal. Then transfer the urad dal ragi batter to a separate vessel.
- Then filter the water completely from soaked Idli rice and grind by adding water little by little. Grind it till smooth or little coarse.
- Transfer the rice batter to the same vessel urad dal ragi batter is transferred and add required salt. Mix well with your hands. Let it ferment for overnight or at least eight hours. Next day the batter should be raised as shown (right hand side image).
- Now you can start make ragi idlis using the batter. Heat the Idli pot with one cup of water and fill the mould of idly plate with batter. Steam it for 8 to 10 minutes. Then unmould the idlies from the plate.
- For ragi dosa's add little water to the batter. Heat a tawa, spread the dosa thin in circular motion. Cook it for 2 minutes. Once done flip the dosa and cook it for a minute. Remove from the pan once done.
- Serve the ragi Idlis / ragi dosa's with curd, chutney or Sambar of your choice. We had it with mint tomato chutney and Idli podi.
Serve the ragi Idlis / ragi dosa’s with curd, chutney or Sambar of your choice. We had it with mint tomato chutney and Idli podi.
- The amount of water mentioned in the post is to give a rough idea. Adjust as needed.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- The batter will be little watery after grinding as we are using mixie. Next day after fermentation, it should be okay.
- Use cold water to grind in order to avoid the motor heating.
- Always use hands to mix the batter that helps in better fermentation.
- Fermentation time will be more if you are living in a cold country.