Eggless whole-grain Ragi chocolate Cake Recipe - Tasty and healthy cake recipe made with ragi, aka finger millet flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, and no eggs! I wanted to try a cake with ragi from long, and this recipe tempted me so much and so baked it on the weekend!
This ragi cake turned out so lovely, and the little one at home loved it so much. I am sure this is going to be my keeper recipe for any special occasion. This ragi chocolate cake can be given to toddlers after one year. Check out other healthy cake recipes for toddlers and kids here.
Ragi Chocolate Cake Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Ragi Flour -1/2 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour -1 Cups
- Cocoa Powder - 2 tbsp
- Baking Soda - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/8 tsp
- Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Yogurt - 3/4 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Olive oil/sunflower oil - 1/4 cup
For Chocolate Sauce:
- Cocoa Powder - 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1.5 cups
- Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Broken nuts/Chocolate chips- 1/4 cup
- Measure and Sieve the ragi flour, cocoa powder, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Also, preheat the oven to 180 deg C for 10 minutes.
- Take brown sugar in a mixing bowl and add yogurt to it.
- Then add oil followed by milk and vanilla essence. Stir it well with a hand whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved. Mix well so that the oil is mixed evenly.
- Once all the wet ingredients are mixed well, add the sieved ragi whole wheat flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Gently fold everything well for 10-15 seconds. Don't over mix. The final mix should be slightly thick. Adjust with milk to get the desired consistency if required.
- Grease a cake pan with oil. Pour the mixture to the cake tin and gently tape it. Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg C for 35 -40 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the cake pan and oven) at 180° Celsius till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling in a tray for 5 minutes once done.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the chocolate sauce. In a saucepan, take 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence, 1.5 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Mix it well with a whisk.
- Finally, add 1 tbsp of butter and heat the mixture in low medium flame until a sauce consistency is reached. It may take 10 minutes. Switch of the flame once done and cool it down completely.
- Once the cake and chocolate sauce is completely cooled down, spread the sauce over the cake gently with a spoon. Then cut the cake into pieces, sprinkle choco chips if preferred.
- If the final mixture is too thick after adding wheat ragi flour mix, add a few tbsp of milk to get the desired consistency.
- Preparing and adding chocolate sauce is optional for this cake, but enhances the taste!
- Don't over mix after adding the dry ingredients, just fold them for 10-15 seconds.
- This ragi chocolate cake stays well for four days at room temperature and keeps good for a week if stored in a refrigerator.
- You could use any nuts of your choice instead of chocolate chips.
- Mixing and measurements are most important for the perfect cake.