Puffed Rice Upma/Pori Upma- easy and filling breakfast recipe made with puffed rice & vegetables. This puffed rice upma is perfect as an evening snack or even as breakfast. It can be done very quickly, tasty and wholesome as its loaded with vegetables. You can add any available seasonal vegetables of your choice to make this puffed rice upma. It can be given to babies after one year once they started eating all family foods. Get more information on introducing and selecting puffed rice for babies and kids here.
Puffed Rice Upma Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Puffed Rice/Pori - 4 cups
- Vegetables chopped* - 1.5 cups
- Onions - 1 small sized
- Green chillies - 1
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Water - as needed
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal - ¼ tsp
- Bengal Gram Dal -¼ tsp
- Hing/ Asafoetida - ⅛ tsp
- Cashews/peanuts - 1.5 tbsp
- * I used carrots red and green capsicum
- Wash all the vegetables and cut them into small cubes. Set aside. Keep all the other ingredients ready. Chop onions, green chillies and coriander leaves. Take juice from lemon and keep it ready. Measure puffed rice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the items to temper one by one. Saute until cumin seeds cracks.
- Then add onions along with green chillies and saute onions until it's transparent.Then add chopped vegetables along with turmeric powder and salt, toss it well. Add 2 tablespoon of water and cook it covered for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Make sure the vegetables are soft enough to bite but not too mushy.
- In the meantime, Wash the puffed rice in water and squeeze the water completely from it. Open the lid and check the pan whether the vegetables are cooked well.
- Add washed puffed rice once the vegetables are soft. Mix well.Toss everything well for two to three minutes and switch off the flame, add lemon juice & garnish with coriander leaves.
- Puffed rice gets shrink after washing and hence 4 cups of puffed rice is needed for 2-3 serving.
- Make sure to squeeze the water completely from puffed rice after washing, otherwise the upma will be mushy.
- You could also add almonds or nuts powder or roasted Bengal gram dal powder instead of whole nuts.
- You can even use red puffed rice variety which is more healthier.
- Any seasonal vegetables can be used to make this puffed rice upma.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Make sure the vegetables are soft enough to bite but not too mushy.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your baby before you try this puffed rice upma.
Leave a Reply