Poha Oats Porridge - healthy porridge recipe made with homemade poha oats cereal mix which has poha/ flattened rice/beaten rice, oats, roasted gram dal, and nuts. As mentioned in my previous post, this porridge can be prepared by just mixing with hot water during emergencies or travel, but here I have given detailed steps to make porridge using the poha oats cereal mix for regular days.
This poha oats porridge recipe can be given to babies from 8 months. This porridge tastes good even plain without adding any additional sweetener or salt. But you can add banana puree, apple puree, dates syrup or raisins syrup to enhance the taste. For babies above one year, you can make this poha oats porridge with milk (instead of water) and sugar/jaggery syrup! Tastes delicious!
Here is how to make healthy poha oats porridge recipe for babies and toddlers.
Poha Oats Porridge Recipe for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
- Homemade Poha Oats Cereal Mix - 2 tbsp
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Palm JaggeryDates Syrup - 1 tbsp optional
- Ghee - 1/2 Tsp
- Take 2 tbsp of poha oats cereal mix in a saucepan. Add 3/4 cup of water and mix well with a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps remained.
- Cook the porridge for 5 minutes until it becomes slightly thick.
- Add in sweetener and ghee at this stage. Give a quick stir.
- Cook it further for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and serve warm.
- If the porridge becomes too thick, add boiled water/formula or breast-milk to adjust the consistency while feeding.
- You could also use 3/4 cup of boiled cows milk instead of water for babies above one year.
- Skip jaggery for babies below one year. Instead, use dates syrup or raisins syrup.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separately before you try this poha oats porridge.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.