Poha Oats Powder for baby – healthy instant mix prepared with poha/flattened rice, oats, and nuts. The making of this powder is much similar to poha cereal mix except for the addition of oats. It can be given to babies from 8 months after introducing each separate. This poha oats powder comes handy when traveling with your baby as you can make instant porridge with it.
How to use this poha oats mix powder for babies, toddlers, and kids
- You can make instant porridge for your baby during travel, check the method of preparation given below in the next section.
- Make porridge with water or milk. Check out oats poha porridge recipe here.
- Mix with hot milk and offer as a breakfast cereal.
- You can also use this powder to make instant milkshakes for toddlers and kids.
How to use this poha oats mix powder during travel?
- In case of emergencies or during travel, you could use this powder without cooking, add 2-3 tsp of this powder in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of hot water/ boiled cow’s milk(for babies above one year) to it.
- Close it with a lid and keep it undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open it, mix well and feed your baby. You could also add dates syrup, any fruit puree or mashed fruits to make it tastier!
Poha Oats Powder Recipe for Babies and Toddlers
- Red Poha/White Poha - 1/2 Cup
- Oats - 1/2 cup
- Roasted Gram Dal - 1/4 cup
- Almonds - 1/8 cup
- Cashews - 1/8 cup
- Green Cardamom - 1
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Take poha and check specks if any. Then dry roast the poha in low flame for 3-5 minutes until nice aroma comes, and it's crispy. Remove from the pan once done.
- In the same pan, add in oats and dry roast until nice aroma comes. It may take 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan once done. Then add roasted gram dal and dry roast in low flame until it is hot to touch. Remove from the pan once done.
- Then add almonds and cashews together along with cardamom, dry roast it for a minute. Switch off the flame once done. Transfer the dry roasted poha, oats, roasted Bengal gram dal and nuts in a blender/mixer.
- Grind everything to a smooth powder. Transfer it to a plate and cool it down. You can also grind poha, oats, and nuts separately if you don't have a powerful mixer grinder. Sieve the ground powder well using a sieve.
- After sieving the powder, cool it down completely and store it in an airtight container.
- Choose thin poha and quick cooking oats if you are planning to use this mix for instant porridge. Also, make sure to roast it well!
- This poha oats powder keeps well for a month if handled correctly.
- Sieve the powder well to get a fine powder.
- Grind the nuts separately if you don’t have a powerful mixer at home. While grinding nuts, don’t run the mixie for more than 10 seconds at a time otherwise the nuts may leave oil, and the mixture becomes moisturized.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separately before you try this poha oats cereal to your baby.
- Generally, poha or oats doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- The same recipe can be prepared with white poha too.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.