Mutton soup – healthy soup for toddlers and kids made with mutton/lamb and spices. Mutton/lamb is rich in iron and that is easily absorbed by the body and hence it should be a part of kids diet. Mutton soup is one of the easy and best ways to make kids eat mutton/lamb.
When to introduce mutton/lamb to babies?
It’s recommended to introduce mutton/lamb to babies after 8 months. Do have a word with your baby’s doctor before you start mutton/lamb to your baby. When you introduce, give this mutton soup as a clear soup after straining. Then slowly introduce well-cooked mutton pieces. Always make sure to clean and well cook the mutton/lamb when you cook for your baby.
- Mutton Pieces - ¼ kg
- Bay leaves- 1 small
- Cinnamon - 1 medium sized
- Cloves - 2
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds- ¼ tsp
- Onions - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Ginger - ½ tsp grated
- Garlic - 4 small cloves finely chopped
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
- Salt - as required
- Oil/Ghee - 1 Tsp
- Red chilli powder- ¼ tsp(optional)
- Pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Water - 2.5 cups
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Clean mutton pieces and chop into small pieces. Finely chop ginger, coriander leaves, onions & garlic. In a pressure cooker, heat a tsp of ghee/oil and add cinnamon, cloves & cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Let cumin seeds crackle.
- Then add onions & garlic. Fry them nicely until golden brown. Now add chopped mutton pieces and give a quick stir.
- Then add red chili powder, pepper powder and required salt. Mix everything well and then add coriander leaves.
- Pressure cook the mutton with 2.5 cups of water 5-8 whistles in medium flame.or until the mutton is cooked well. Once the pressure is released open the cooker. Strain the mutton soup with a strainer to get a clear soup.
- For small babies, offer as clear soup after straining the soup using a strainer.
- Mutton with bone pieces works well for this recipe.
- Make sure to clean the mutton pieces well.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Adjust spices according to your preference.