Mushrooms are protein packed and best vegetarian alternative to meat. I started exploring mushroom recipes recently and became addicted. This mushroom pepper fry is chettinad based,spicy and quick fry. The addition of capsicum with mushrooms and freshly ground pepper takes the dish to new level. Small button mushrooms works best for this recipe. This fry goes well with chapati/roti. But can be paired with rasam and rice too.
Mushroom Pepper Fry Recipe (Mushroom Recipes) - Kalan Milagu Varuval
- Cleaned button mushrooms - 200 gm
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Capsicum - 1 medium sized
- Pepper corns - 1.5 tbsp
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 4 small cloves
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash the mushroom under tap water and pat dry it. Remove the thin slice from the stem and discard the first layer with knife. Then slice them into two. Repeat this process for all the mushrooms and keep it ready. Then slice the onions and capsicum lengthwise.
- Crush the ginger and garlic using mortar and pestle and make it ready. Dry roast the pepper corns for two minutes in tadka pan until nice aroma comes and coarsely powder the same in mortar and pestle.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add fennel seeds and curry leaves. Saute them for a minute. Then add onions, crushed ginger and garlic. Fry them well in medium fame until onions become transparent.
- Add capsicum now and saute it well for three minutes. Then add the cleaned mushroom pieces in and mix them well slowly.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Fry them well for three minutes. Ince mushrooms start leaving out water, cover cook them for five minutes in medium flame or until done.
- After the mushrooms get cooked well and reduced in volume, add salt and pepper powder. Toss them for two minutes and switch off the flame.