Moong Dal kheer - easy and healthy dessert made with moong dal, nuts, and coconut milk or milk! Moong dal is an easily digestible & healthy food for babies and kids, This moong dal kheer is the easiest recipe to make with moong dal. It's a humble dish and tastes so good and filling with simple ingredients. This moong dal kheer can be given to babies from 8 months as a quick dessert. You may also like other moong dal recipes: moong dal ladoo, moong dal dosa.
Now let's get on to check this moong dal kheer recipe for babies, toddlers, and kids.
Moong Dal kheer recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1.25 cups
- Jaggery - 1/4 cup
- Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom - 1
- Ghee - 2 Tsp
- Cashews - 5
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Roast moong dal with ghee until nice aroma comes and pressure cook it for 4 whistles with 1.25 cups of water in medium flame.
- In the meantime, ghee fry the cashews&raisins and keep it ready. Heat jaggery in a saucepan with water until it's immersed level. Once it melts completely, strains the jaggery water through a strainer to remove impurities and keep it ready. Open the pressure cooker once pressure released. Mash it with a laddle if required, but make sure Moong dal should be soft but not too mushy, so don't mash too much.
- Now add filtered jaggery water to cooked moong dal and mix well. Also, add crushed cardamom. Now cook everything in a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir it occasionally while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning. Then add coconut milk and mix well.
- Cook in low flame with occasional stirring until the kheer becomes slightly thick. Once everything comes together and when the kheer consistency is reached, add ghee fried cashews & raisins. Mix well and switch off the flame once done.
3. Now add filtered jaggery water to cooked moong dal and mix well. Also, add crushed cardamom. Now cook everything in a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir it occasionally while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning. Then add coconut milk and mix well.
- If the kheer becomes thicker, add extra coconut milk or milk to adjust the consistency.
- The color of the kheer depends on the jaggery variety used. You can adjust the amount of jaggery as per your liking's.
- I used coconut milk. You could also use cow's milk instead of coconut milk for babies above one year.
- Avoid jaggery for babies below one year. Instead, add fruit puree for sweetness. Serve the kheer thick instead of runny for small babies.
- Skip whole cashews or raisins for small babies as they lead to choking hazard. Instead, add nuts powder.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This moong dal kheer becomes thicker when cooled down. So switch off the flame when it is slightly thick.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separately before you try this moong dal kheer to your baby.