Moong Dal kheer – easy and healthy dessert made with moong dal, nuts and coconut milk or milk! Moong dal is an easily digestible & healthy food for babies and kids, This moong dal kheer is an easiest recipe to make with moong dal. It’s a humble dish and tastes so good and filling with simple ingredients. This moong dal kheer can be given to babies from 8 months as a quick dessert. You may also like other moong dal recipes:moong dal ladoo, moong dal dosa.
Now let’s get on to check this moong dal kheer recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
- Moong Dal - ½ cup
- Water - 1.25 cups
- Jaggery - ¼ cup
- Coconut Milk - ½ cup
- Cardamom - 1
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cashews - 5
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Roast moong dal with ghee until nice aroma comes and pressure cook it for 4 whistles with 1.25 cups of water in medium flame.
- In the meantime,ghee fry the cashews&raisins and keep it ready. Heat jaggery in a saucepan with water until it's immersed level. Once it melts completely, strain the jaggery water through a strainer to remove impurities and keep it ready. Open the pressure cooker once pressure released. Mash it with a laddle if required, but make sure Moong dal should be soft but not too mushy, so don't mash too much.
- Now add filtered jaggery water to cooked moong dal and mix well. Also add crushed cardamom. Now cook everything in a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir it occasionally while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning. Then add coconut milk and mix well.
- Cook in low flame with occasional stirring until the kheer becomes slightly thick. Once everything comes together and when the kheer consistency is reached, add ghee fried cashews & raisins. Mix well and switch off the flame once done.
3. Now add filtered jaggery water to cooked moong dal and mix well. Also add crushed cardamom. Now cook everything in a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir it occasionally while cooking in order to prevent the bottom from burning. Then add coconut milk and mix well.
- If the kheer becomes more thick, add extra coconut milk or milk to adjust the consistency.
- The color of the kheer depends on the jaggery variety used. You can adjust the amount of jaggery as per your liking’s.
- I used coconut milk. You could also use cow’s milk instead of coconut milk for babies above one year.
- Avoid jaggery for babies below one year. Instead add fruit puree for sweetness. Serve the kheer thick instead of runny for small babies.
- Skip whole cashews or raisins for small babies as they lead to choking hazard. Instead add nuts powder.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This moong dal kheer becomes thicker when cooled down. So switch off the flame when it is slightly thick.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separate before you try this moong dal kheer to your baby.