Instant Moong Dal Halwa- a delicious dessert made with moong dal, ghee, milk and nuts for toddlers, kids and for the whole family. I wanted to try some rich tasting sweet for this Holi (Indian festival) and have tried this yummy tasting moong dal halwa today & it came out so good.
This is the instant version of making moong dal halwa without soaking and can be done quickly! I am very much satisfied with the outcome,though it's not the traditional way of making this halwa. So do try this moong dal halwa and update me with your feedback!
Instant Moong Dal Halwa Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Yellow moong Dal - 1/2 cup
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Sugar/Powdered jaggery - 1/2 cup
- Homemade Ghee - 6 tbsp
- Saffron - 3 to 4 strands
- Water - 1 cup
- Cardamom - 2
- Cashews almonds - 2 tbsp
- Measure sugar and water. Heat the sugar with water in a saucepan until rolling boil. Switch off the flame once done and add cardamom to it. Set aside.
- Measure moong dal. Wash and pat dry it. Then dry roast the moong dal in low medium flame for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Once the moong dal is roasted well, switch off the flame. Cool it down and then transfer it to a blender.
- Grind the roasted moong dal to slightly coarse powder. Set aside. Soak the saffron strands in milk and keep it ready.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add a tbsp of ghee and fry the cashews & almonds. Remove from the pan once done and Keep aside.
- Then in the same pan, add 3 tbsp of ghee and powdered moongdal. Roast it on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add required amount of milk to it and stir it quickly. Keep stirring the continuously until the milk is completely absorbed. It may take 3-5 minutes in low medium flame.
- Once the milk is fully absorbed, add sugar water. Now the halwa starts liquidized. Keep stirring in between and add the remaining ghee little by little.
- When the halwa forms a whole mass and doesn't stick to the pan, add ghee fried cashews & almonds. Switch off the flame once done.
- Adding saffron gives a nice yellow color to the halwa. Don't skip it.
- Do the whole process in low medium flame in order to avoid burning in the bottom.
- Make sure to roast the moong dal well otherwise the halwa may have raw smell.
- You can replace sugar with same amount of jaggery.
- You can also use pistachios along with cashews and almonds.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Don't prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.