Masala Rice: Its a type of cooked rice tossed with assorted vegetables, spice powder and tempering. Masala rice is a nutritious rice variety that can be done very quickly for lunch/dinner. This masala rice recipe is shared by a neighbor friend during our usual chats in the evenings. It turned out really good and tasty that toddlers/kids will definitely enjoy it. This rice can be spiced with sambar powder or even pav bhaji masala as per your preference and availability. You can simply serve this masala rice with curd or any raita. Masala rice can be given to kids from one year once they start eating all family foods. Here is how to make an easy masala rice recipe for toddlers and kids.
Masala Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - 1 cup
- Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1
- Ginger- 1 teaspoon chopped
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Sambar powder/ Pav Bhaji Masala - 1 tbsp
- Chopped Vegetables* -1 cup
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee/Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad Dal - ¼ tsp
- Hing - a generous pinch
- * I have used carrots beans and green capsicum
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 20 minutes. Wash and chop all vegetables into cubes. Slice onions, chop ginger and tomatoes finely. Slit green chilies. Roughly chop coriander leaves. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee or oil. Add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,hing and urad dal. Let mustard seeds crackle. Then add onions along with ginger & green chillies. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder/phav bhaji masala powder. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy.
- Now add chopped vegetables and toss them nicely for 3 minutes. Then add soaked rice.
- Mix well. Add water (1.5 cups of water) and bring it to a boil.Add in coriander leaves at this stage. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve the masala rice with curd.
- You can even use leftover cooked rice to prepare this masala rice.
- Big onions can be replaced with 10 number of Small onions/shallots for a different flavor and taste.
- Instead of sambar powder, You can add ¼ teaspoon of red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon of coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon of garam masala powder for a variation.
- Skip green chilies for small babies.
- Any Normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this masala rice.
- Water quantity depends on the type of rice used. I have used basmati rice and hence 1.5 cups of water are apt with prior soaking.
- Adjust spices & green chilli according to your preference.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Leave a Reply