Paneer Jalfrezi is a medium spicy curry made with vegetables and paneer. The general term jalfrezi means frying meat fish or vegetables. I searched for easy paneer recipes and this paneer Jalfrezi caught my attention. It is very quick to make when you have last minute guests at home and goes well with Chapati wraps/Roti. It's a perfect lunch box recipe for kids when wrapped with chapati.
You can even try this recipe only with vegetables and omitting paneer as vegetable jalfrezi. Let's check the recipe.
Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe | How to make Paneer Veg Jalfrezi | PaneerRecipes
- Paneer - 1 cup chopped
- Big onion - 1 large
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Ginger & garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Carrot - 1 medium sized
- Capsicum - 1 small sized
- Red chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri methi dried fenugreek leaves - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Ghee/butter/oil- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Chop tomatoes roughly and grind them in a blender to make a fine puree. Set this aside.
- Chop the onions and capsicum lengthwise. Peel the skin off from carrots and slice them into thin strip. Chopping the veggie as thin as possible helps in cooking faster. Keep aside.Cut the paneer lengthwise and fry them in a tsp of oil until golden brown. Keep it immersed in warm water till use.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds seeds. Saute them until cumin seeds cracks. Add onions now along with ginger garlic paste and saute them well. Once the onions becomes transparent, add the tomato paste in. Fry the paste for 5 minutes in low medium flame until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves.
- Then add red chilli powder, coriander powder,garam masala powder and salt. Give a quick stir. Then add chopped carrot and capsicum pieces.Mix well with the gravy. Add 2 tbsp of water if the gravy is too dry. Cook the gravy for 5 minutes until the carrots are cooked well. Now add kasuri methi and fry for a minute.
- By now the curry would become semi-dry. Then add fried paneer pieces and carefully mix it with the curry. Fry it for 2 more minutes. Switch off the flame once done and garnish with coriander leaves if you prefer.
- The same recipe can be tried with chicken or lamb instead of paneer.
- This is a medium spicy curry with the above mentioned ingredients. Increase red chilli powder if you want it more spicy.
- Adding vegetables is purely your choice.
- Don't skip kasuri methi as its add a great flavor to the curry.
- Add a tbsp of tomato ketchup and 1/4 tsp of sugar along with the spice powders for additional flavor.