I have already posted the recipe for Idli dosa batter using grinder. This is the quick version of making idli dosa batter with mixie. I always use grinder for making Idli Dosa batter which yields more quantity. But there are some occasions I have to grind idli dosa batter using mixie.
The time required to grind in mixie is very less and the cleaning job can be done in jiffy. But we can grind only small quantities using mixie and the motor heats fast while grinding. Both grinder and mixie never disappoints me and always give soft Idlis & crispy dosa’s.
Idli Dosa batter using Mixie| How to Make Idli Dosa Batter using Mixie| Breakfast Recipes
- Idli Rice - 2 cups
- Urad dal - 1/2 cup
- Methi seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Crystal salt - 2 tsp or adjust as per taste
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately for three hours at least.
- Start grinding the urad dal first by adding little water in frequent intervals. When the bubbles starts to appear and the batter is fluffy, it's done. I have added approximately one cup of water to grind the urad dal. Transfer the urad dal batter to a separate vessel.
- Then filter the water completely from soaked Idli rice and grind by adding water little by little. Grind it till smooth or slightly coarse. It took approximately 1.25 to 1.5 cups of water for the rice to grind smooth.
- Transfer the rice batter to the same vessel urad dal batter is transferred and add required salt. Mix well with your hands. Let it ferment for overnight or at least eight hours. Next day the batter should be raised as shown (right hand side image).
- Now you can start make idlies using the batter. Heat the Idli pot with one cup of water and fill the mould of idly plate with batter. Steam it for 8 to 10 minutes. Then unmould the idlies from the plate.
- For dosa's add little water to the batter. Heat a tawa, spread the dosa thin in circular motion. Cook it for 3 to 5 minutes. Once done flip the dosa and cook it for 2 more more minutes. Remove from the pan once done.
- The amount of water mentioned in the post is to give a rough idea. Adjust as needed.
- The batter will be little watery after grinding as we are using mixie. Next day after fermentation, it should be okay.
- Use cold water to grind in order to avoid the motor heating.
- Always use hands to mix the batter that helps in better fermentation.