Dahi Chura - a famous Bihar dessert made with poha aka flattened rice, curd/yogurt. Dahi is yogurt or curd and poha/flattened rice is known as Chura in Bihar and hence the name 'Dahi Chura'. I have adapted the recipe from here. It's such an easy recipe to make within 15 minutes & no cooking is required, hence its ideal for travel. It can be served as a breakfast or as a quick evening snack for babies from 8 months. It's a wholesome food and is sure this dahi Chura is better to alternate to cornflakes!
Dahi Chura (poha yogurt fruits nuts mix) for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Poha/Chura - 3/4 cup
- Curd/Yogurt/Dahi - 1 cup
- Cut fruits - 1/2 cup
- Jaggery/honey/brown sugar- 1 to 2 tbsp optional
- Chopped nuts - 1 tbsp optional
- Measure poha and curd. Keep it ready along with other ingredients. Soak poha in water 5 minutes. I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer time.
- Keep the soaked poha ready. Cut the fruits and nuts into desired size and keep aside. For small babies, powder the nuts.
- Beat the curd well with a whisk and add sweetener if using.
- Now add the soaked poha, cut fruits and nuts to the beaten curd. Mix well and serve.
- I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take a little longer.
- Skip honey or sugar and nuts for babies below one year. Use more fruits as a sweetener and dry fruits powder or almond powder instead.
- For small babies, cut the fruits into tiny pieces or add mashed fruits instead.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredient separate to your baby, before you try this dahi Chura recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.