Caramel Sweet potato - easy and healthy dessert made with sweet potatoes, jaggery and ghee for toddlers and kids. This caramel sweet potato is similar to banana in jaggery sauce recipe which I shared few weeks ago. After reading lot of health benefits about sweet potatoes, I make sure to include sweet potato to my little daughters diet at least once in a week. You can check sweet potato recipes here I posted so far.
This caramel sweet potato recipe is one of the way to make fussy eaters to have this healthy sweet potato. Also best for toddlers and kids to gain weight in a healthy way! It can be given to babies after one year as a quick dessert. Now Let's check how to make this caramel sweet potato recipe for toddlers and kids.
Caramel Sweet Potato Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Sweet potato - 1 medium sized
- Jaggery - 2 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cardamom - 1 or cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into discs.
- Pressure cook sweet potatoes with a cup of water for one whistle. Open the pressure cooker once pressure released. Drain the water and keep the cooked sweet potato discs ready.
- Heat jaggery powder with cardamom in a sauce pan and add ½ cup of water. Let the jaggery melt. Then add cooked sweet potato discs to it.
- Boil it until the jaggery sauce is slightly thick. Then add ghee and cook it further for 2 more minutes. Switch off the flames once done.
- You could also use sugar instead of jaggery as caramel sauce.
- I have cooked the sweet potatoes for 3 whistles. So some pieces were broken and became mashed. But taste wise no compromise. If you want the perfect discs, pressure cook for only one whistle and cook it further with jaggery.
- You could also cook the sweet potato slices in sauce pan instead of pressure cooking.
- You can also steam cook the sweet potato and use.
- Adjust jaggery according to the sweetness of sweet potato.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Leave a Reply