Broccoli is a healthy power packed vegetable but unfortunately most of the kids won’t like to eat them. I always look for ways to include broccoli in my little daughters diet with different flavors so that she may not reject this healthy veggie. One such try was this creamy broccoli soup which I posted a while ago and that was a hit with my little one. To my surprise, she liked this broccoli rice too and had it without any complaints!!!
This broccoli rice can be given to babies from 8 months after introducing broccoli separate and check the notes section I have given at the end of post for the points to consider before you offer this broccoli rice to your little ones. Give this broccoli rice a try and see whether your kids like to eat them.
Broccoli Rice Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - 1 cup
- Broccoli florets - 1 cup
- Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1 optional
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Mint leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
- Corainder leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Water - 2.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves- 1
- Cinnamon- 1/4 inch piece
- Cloves - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 20 minutes. Slice onions, chop ginger and garlic finely. Slit green chillies. Set aside.
- Wash and roughly chop broccoli into bite size pieces. Keep aside. Pressure cook rice in a medium flame for three to four whistles with required amount of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker , add lemon juice and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and set aside.
- Heat a kadai with ghee. Add bay leaves, cloves , cinnamon and cumin seeds. Let it cumin seeds crackle. Then add onions and chopped ginger and garlic along with green chillies (if using). Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , Add broccoli florets, chopped mint and corainder leaves, turmeric powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder(if using) and required salt. Give a quick stir. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the broccoli gets cooked. Don't over cook the broccoli it should retain it's crunchiness.
- Once the broccoli is completely cooked add the cooked rice and mix well. Switch off the flame when the rice is well mixed with broccoli.
- You can even make this broccoli rice with left over cooked rice too.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate before you try this broccoli rice.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- Skip salt for babies below one year.
- For small babies cut the broccoli into tiny pieces and mash the rice well and offer. Also Remove whole spices when you are feeding.
- Skip green chilli, garam masla and ginger for small babies if they can’t tolerate them.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.