Soups are so healthy, soothing and quick to make. It’s one of the best way to make kids eat vegetables and fruits. You can never go wrong with apples & carrots, as carrot and apple combo is always a winning combo. This Apple carrot soup is very easy to make and most babies & toddlers will like it for sure. It’s suits for kids as its mild sweet tasting and not spicy.
- Carrot - ½ of big size carrot
- Apple - ½ of one big size apple
- Onions - 1 tbsp chopped
- Salt - a pinch
- Butter/Ghee - ½ tsp
- Pepper powder - a tiny pinch (optional)
- Water - as needed
- Sterilise the bowls and spoons used for feeding your baby in a vessel with hot water for five minutes and keep it immersed in the same vessel until use.
- Wash Apple & carrot in running water well. Then peel the skin off from carrot and apple with a peeler. Then chop them into equal size small cubes. Discard the seeds from Apple.
- Steam the chopped apple & carrot cubes in a steamer for 15 minutes. I have used Philips avent steamer come blender for both steaming and blending. In the meantime, fry the onions nicely in butter until golden brown and keep aside. Alternatively you can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook the apple, carrot and fried onions together with a cup of water for 3 whistles.
- Once the the apple & carrot are steamed cooked , it will be soft and transparent. Add fried onions and blend it with little water to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Then strain them using a strainer to get a clear soup. Then reheat the strained soup in a saucepan for two minutes with salt, pepper and jeera powder (if using). Switch off the flame and serve warm.
Introduce this apple carrot soup to your baby, after introducing Apple & carrots separate.
- Add pepper & onions to this Apple carrot soup only after the baby completed 8 months.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Salt is not recommended in baby food until one year.
- Steaming is a healthy option for baby food than pressure cooking. So I prefer steaming using a Idli pot or steamer.