Daliya/Broken wheat/cracked wheat is a healthy, wholesome and comforting food for babies. I already posted sweet daliya porridge and this broken wheat khichdi is another delicious recipe that can be made with daliya or broken wheat. It’s a quick fix meal that can be served for breakfast or dinner. Daliya khichdi can be given to babies of age 8 months plus.
Here is how to make daliya khichdi with moong dal for babies.
- Daliya/broken wheat - 2 tbsp
- Moong Dal - 1 tbsp
- Mixed Vegetables - ¼ cup
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Pepper powder - ¼ tsp (optional)
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste (not recommended for babies below 1 year)
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - ½ tsp
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Keep aside. Wash and dry roast the dalia and moong dal separately. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add moong dal and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Now add the mixed vegetables along with garlic and give a quick stir. Then add daliya and mix well.
- Now sprinkle turmeric powder, pepper powder and required salt to it. Give a quick stir. Add water and bring it to a boil. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it in low medium flame for three whistles.
- Open the cooker once pressure released. Mash it well and serve warm.
- Adjust water level according to the broken wheat type. I used fine broken wheat so added 1.5 cups of water.
- U can use any vegetables of your choice. I used carrot, peas and cauliflower.
- You can make this daliya khichdi without vegetables too. To make it more filling and wholesome, adding vegetables like carrot, peas, beans etc is recommended.
- Adding salt is not recommended in baby food unless they turned one year.
- It is mildly spiced with the above mentioned ingredients. Add 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder if you are making it for adults.
- Add 1 small tomato if you want the daliya khichdi to be slightly tangy.