Mor kootu is another different variety of kootu made with curd/yougurt. Vazhaithandu/banana stem, keerai thandu, pumpkin, chow chow are the vegetables apt for making mor kootu. It tastes so unique and tasty. I make this mor kootu often in summer for its cooling effect.
Vazhaithandu is a healthy veggie and filling as it is rich in fiber. We include vazhaithandu in our diet as a simple stir fry made with coconut, this poriyal or mor kootu. I prefer this mor kootu rather than poriyal. Let's check how to make this healthy vazhaithandu mor kootu.
Vazhaithandu Mor Kootu Recipe | Plantain Stem Kootu with Curd | KootuRecipes
- Vazhaithandu/plantain stem - 1 medium sized
- Thick Curd - ½ cup
- Salt - as required
- Coconut grated - ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Fried gram dal/pottu kadalai- 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash and clean the vazhaithandu. Then chop them to small cubes and keep it immersed in buttermilk until use. Refer this
- for detail steps on cleaning vazhaithandu. Heat a tadka pan and add the items to temper. Let the mustard seeds cracks and urad dal turns brown, then add curry leaves. Fry for a minute. Remove from flame and set aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies,cumin seeds and fried gram dal in a blender with little water to a fine paste and keep it ready.
- Take the chopped vazhaithandu pieces in a small vessel and add a cup of water and required salt to it. Cook them until the vazhaithandu becomes soft. Now add the coconut paste to the cooked vazhaithandu and mix it slowly.
- Start boiling the kootu in low medium flame for 5 minutes or until the kootu consistency is reached. Then add thick curd to the kootu and mix well. Boil it for two more minutes and switch off the flame.
- Then add the tempered items to the kootu and mix it well.
2. Start boiling the kootu in low medium flame for 5 minutes or until the kootu consistency is reached. Then add thick curd to the kootu and mix well. Boil it for two more minutes and switch off the flame.
- Don't boil the kootu for more than 2 minutes after curd is added.
- Keep the flame in low to medium while boiling the kootu in order to avoid the bottom to get sticked.
- If the kootu is watery add a teaspoon of rice flour in the end and boil it for 2 minutes to make it thick.
- This kootu thickens with time so switch off the flame accordingly.
Nice post. This is very healthy recipe.Thanks for sharing this post.
south indian vegetarian restaurant