Cabbage/Muttakos is a healthy veggie which provides lot of health benefits including cancer prevention, improves immunity & digestion and good for heart too. As I love all the vegetables, cabbage is no exception. But i prefer this kootu rather than simple cabbage stir fry.
This kootu tastes so delicious and very quick to make. Even cabbage haters will love this kootu recipe. Its a great accompaniment with rice and any thogayal. This cabbage kootu goes well with chapati too. Let’s get on to check how to make this healthy cabbage kootu.
- Cabbage chopped - 2 cups
- Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Channa dal - 2 tbsp
- Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - as required
- Coconut grated - ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Fried gram dal/pottu kadalai- ½ tsp
- Green chillies - 1
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Red chilli - 1
- Chop cabbage roughly and set aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies,cumin seeds and fried gram dal with little water to a fine paste and keep it ready.
- Take the chopped cabbage, channa dal, moong dal, sambar powder and salt in a small pressure cooker and add a cup of water to it. Pressure cook it for three whistles and open the cooker once the pressure released.
- Now add the coconut paste to the pressure cooked cabbage and mix it slowly. Start boiling the kootu in low medium flame for 5 minutes or until the kootu consistency is reached. Switch off the flame once done. Don't boil the kootu for more time after coconut paste is added.
- Heat a tadka pan and add the items to temper. Let the mustard seeds cracks and urad dal turns brown, then add curry leaves and red chillies. Fry for a minute. Add the tempered items to the kootu and mix it well.
Serve the cabbage kootu with hot steamed rice and any kuzhambu of your choice. We had it with paruppu thogayal, the best combination!
- Keep the flame in low to medium while boiling the kootu in order to avoid the bottom to get sticked.
- If the kootu is watery add a tsp of rice flour in the end and boil it for 2 minutes to make it thick.
- This kootu thickens with time so switch off the flame accordingly.