Vazhaipoo/Banana flower/Banana blossom is a healthy veggie and used as a traditional medicine to treat ulcers, menstrual cramps and constipation. It also controls blood sugar and best for pregnant ladies as it contains good amount of iron. Amma usually include this healthy banana flower in our diet at least once in two weeks. Amma make this stir fry or vazhaipoo vadai. Only cleaning part takes time the rest can be done in jiffy.
- Vazhaipoo - 1 small
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Moong dal - 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Thin butter milk - 1 cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Cleaning the banana flower is the first step. Keep the butter milk ready. Apply seasame oil in your hand or wear gloves before start cleaning the vazhaipoo to prevent the hands from turning dark. Remove the outer petal of the banana flower to take the florets inside. Collect all florets. Then take each floret and remove the parts mentioned in the right hand side picture and put the florets into butter milk after removing.
- Collect all the florets and remove the parts as mentioned and keep it immersed in butter milk for the whole banana flower by removing all petals from the banana flower. At one stage the florets will be small to remove. Use them as such. Then chop the collected florets roughly and keep them immersed in butter milk until use. Set aside. Chop onions finely and keep it ready.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper. Once mustard cracks and urad dal turns brown, add red chillies and fry for a minute. Now add the onions along with moong dal and sauté till onion becomes transparent.
- Now drain the butter milk completely from the chopped banana flower florets. Add it to the pan and mix well. Add ½ cup of water and cook the banana flower florets for 10 minutes. It will be soft after cooking.
- After the banana flower florets got cooked, add coconut and mix well for 2 minutes. Once everything comes together, switch off the flame.
- You can pressure cook the banana flower florets and moong dal together for 3 whistles after cleaning if you are making in large quantity of poriyal.
- You can clean the banana flower at night & soak it in butter milk and keep it in refrigerator. Use it for next day.