Sweet Vermicelli – tasty breakfast/snack made with vermicelli/Semiya, milk, sugar/jaggery and nuts for toddlers, kids and for the whole family. Sweet vermicelli is also known as meethi seviyan, a special dish made for Ramzan/Eid. The authentic meethi seviyan is made with sugar, I have just replaced it with jaggery to make it healthy! This sweet vermicelli is a nice variation to a usual savory vermicelli upma. It can be given to toddlers after one year as a snack or even for breakfast or dinner. Kids will love it for sure:)
- Vermicelli/ Semiya - 1 cup
- Powdered jaggery - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Milk - 2 cups
- Cardamom powder - ⅛ tsp
- Chopped nuts or Nuts powder - 2 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Heat ghee in a pan and add cashews & badam until golden brown. Remove from the pan once done. In the same pan, Roast vermicelli for until it turns slightly golden.
- Once the vermicelli is roasted, then add milk to it.
- Cook covered in low medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the vermicelli is completely cooked or until all the milk is absorbed. Give a stir occasionally. Once the vermicelli is soft, add powdered jaggery and cardamom powder.
- The mixture will start liquidized now. Cook it further until all the water is absorbed and becomes slightly dry. Keep stirring in between. Finally add finely ghee fried nuts or powdered nuts. Mix well and switch off the flame.
4. The mixture will start liquidized now. Cook it further until all the water is absorbed and becomes slightly dry. Keep stirring in between. Finally add finely ghee fried nuts or powdered nuts. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Milk amount depends on the type of vermicelli used. 1:2 ratio of vermicelli vs milk worked well for me.
- You can replace milk with water.
- Instead of jaggery sugar can be used.
- The final consistency of this recipe should be slightly dry and less sticky.
- Generally vermicelli doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Don’t prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.