Sweet Dalia /Sweet broken wheat upma /Gur Ka Dalia – healthy nutritious breakfast for toddlers, kids and for the whole family. This sweet dalia is loaded with fiber, protiens and iron, hence its perfect for growing kids! This healthy recipe is passed to me by a North Indian Friend. It tastes so good and there are least possibilities for anyone to say no to this tasty dish! Do give a try once at least and I am sure that if your child refused to eat nutritious dalia, it’s one of the best way to include this healthy grain in his/her diet.
Sweet Dalia Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Broken wheat/ Dalia - 1/2 cup
- Powdered jaggery - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- Homemade Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Chopped nuts or Nuts powder - 2 tbsp
- Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Roast Dalia/broken wheat in a thick bottomed pan with 2 tbsp of ghee until nice aroma comes.
- Then add a cup of water to it and cook covered in low medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the broken wheat is completely cooked. Give a stir occasionally. Once dalia/broken wheat is completely cooked, then add milk to it.
- Cook it further for 5 minutes until all the milk is absorbed.
- Now add powdered jaggery and cardamom powder. The mixture will start liquidised now. Cook it further until all the water is absorbed. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the mixture becomes dry, add raisins and grated coconut. Give a quick stir.
- Finally add finely chopped nuts or powdered nuts. Mix well and switch off the flame.
4. Now add powdered jaggery and cardamom powder. The mixture will start liquidized now. Cook it further until all the water is absorbed. Keep stirring in between.
7. Finally add finely chopped nuts or powdered nuts. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- I have used thin variety of dalia or broken wheat hence used less water to cook it. If using thick dalia/ broken wheat variety, it takes more water than the mentioned amount.
- Adding coconut is optional, skip it if you feel its heavy.
- The final consistency of this recipe should be dry.
- You could also pressure cook the broken wheat for 4 whistles instead of cooking in the pan and continue with the further steps.
- Generally broken wheat doesn’t cause any allergies, but check for symptoms and stop feeding your baby if you find any.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Don’t prefer whole nuts for small babies, instead add powdered nuts.