Meen Kuzhambu is famous in south India and there are many versions of making this curry. We love this version of Kuzhambu and it's a no fail recipe. We often buy fish and make this along with fish fry. The key to make good fish curry is the balanced amount of tamarind, spice powders and Salt. The freshly ground spices takes this curry to the new level. It goes well with rice, Idli or Dosa and tastes the best next day! So make it bulk and keep it reserved for next day!
South Indian Fish Curry Recipe (Vanjaram Meen Kuzhambu)
- Small onions - 10
- Tamarind - 1 big lemon sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chillies - 1 or 2
- Garlic - 10 small cloves
- Crystal salt - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Thalipu vadagam - 1 tsp
- Sesame oil - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 sprig
- Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- Vanjaram Fish pieces - ½ kg
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Rock Salt - ½ tsp
To Dry roast and grind
- Red chillies - 10 to 15
- Corainder seeds - 3 tbsp
- Black pepper corns - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Grated coconut - ¼ cup
- Small onions - 10
- Wash the fish pieces well and marinate with turmeric powder and rock salt for at least half an hour or keep in refrigerator for one hour. Soak the tamirnd in warm water for ten minutes and extract the juice. Keep aside.
- Peel small onions & garlic. Chop the tomatoes roughly and slit the green chillies. Keep all the ingredients ready. Then dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, pepper corns, cumin seeds until nice aroma comes and grind with water to make a fine paste.Spice mix is ready and set this aside.
- Grind coconut with small onions to fine paste. Mix this coconut paste with spice mix and make it like a gravy by adding 1 cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add the items to temper. Once mustard cracks, add curry leaves along with green chillies and saute for a minute.
- Add onions and garlic now & saute it well for 5 minutes. Then add tomatoes in and fry it till turns mushy.
- Once tomatoes become soft, add the spice and coconut mix. Mix well. Then add the tamirnd water along with salt.
- Mix everything for a minute. Adjust with water if needed. Boil the Kuzhambu in medium flame for 15 to 20 minutes or until the raw smell completely leaves and the curry becomes little thick.
- Then add the fish pieces in and cook it for 5 more minutes and switch off the flame once the fish pieces are cooked well. Fish cooks faster so switch off the stove accordingly.
2. Peel small onions & garlic. Chop the tomatoes roughly and slit the green chillies. Keep all the ingredients ready. Then dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, pepper corns, cumin seeds until nice aroma comes and grind with water to make a fine paste.Spice mix is ready and set this aside.