Sesame Seeds rice/ Til rice / Ellu sadam- a flavorful and healthy rice made with sesame seeds, which is apt for lunch box. Sesame seeds are tiny treasure of goodness,being the richest source of protein, iron and antioxidants. Also calcium in sesame seeds strengthen bones. There are many tasty ways in which you can include this great seeds in your kids diet and this sesame seeds rice is one among it.
This sesame seeds recipe has been passed to me from my mom. Its very easy to make, yet flavorful and tasty. Sesame seeds rice can be given to kids after one year and once they started eating with the family! Also check sesame seeds ladoo recipe for kids.
Here is how to make healthy sesame seeds rice recipe for toddlers and kids.
Sesame Seeds Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Rice -1 cup
- Sesame seeds Black/ White - 3 tbsp
- Ghee/Sesame oil - 1 tsp
- Water - 2.5 cups
- Salt - as required
To Roast and Grind:
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Red Chilies - 3 to 4
- Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing - 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4 to 5
- Wash rice thoroughly with water. Pressure cook rice in a medium flame for three to four whistles with required amount of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and set aside.
- Measure and take sesame seeds in a thick bottom pan. Dry roast in low medium flame until the sesame seeds splutters. Remove it to a plate once down and cool it down completely.
- In the same pan, add the items listed under to roast & grind. Saute all the ingredients in a tsp of oil until golden brown. Switch off the flame once done and cool it down.
- Then transfer all the roasted items except sesame seeds in a blender/mixie. Grind it to a slightly coarse powder.
- Finally add roasted sesame seeds to the blender and give a run for a minute. The powder should be slightly coarse, keep it ready.
- Heat a pan with a tsp of oil. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let mustard seeds crackle Add in curry leaves and roast it for a minute. Switch off the flame once done. Now add rice to the tempered items and give a mix.
- Then add ground coarse sesame seeds powder along with required salt, mix with the cooked rice using a spoon slowly. Mix well until the rice is well coated with powdered sesame seeds. Finally add a tsp of ghee/sesame oil and give a quick mix. Sesame seeds rice is ready. Give at least 15 minutes of resting time and serve.
- White sesame seeds can be used instead of black seeds.
- We prefer this rice little bit mashed rather than dry, hence i used more water to cook the rice. If you prefer dry and grains separated, use less water to cook the rice.
- You can add more red chilies if you want it spicy.
- You can even make this sesame seeds rice with left over cooked rice too.
- Make sure to introduce sesame seeds separately before you try this sesame seeds rice to your baby.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- For small babies mash the rice well and offer.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.