Sesame Seeds powder or til gun powder or Ellu podi – mix of sesame seeds, lentils, red chilies, tastes best with plain steamed rice, idly and dosa varieties. Sesame seeds are extremely rich in calcium, iron, anti oxidants and many more nutrients. Including sesame seeds as a part of children’s healthy diet, helps in healthy weight gain and strengthen bones & muscles. This sesame seed powder is easy to make at home, has nutty flavor and wonderful aroma. The spiciness of red chilies are balanced with the addition of jaggery which make this powder toddler friendly. It can be given to kids from one year or once they started eating little spicy foods and started eating with the family.
Here is how to make sesame seeds powder recipe for toddlers and kids.
- Black/White Sesame seeds - 1 cup
- Urad dal - 2 tbsp
- Bengal gram dal - 2 tbsp
- Powdered Jaggery - 2 tbsp
- Red chillies - 10
- Hing - ¼ tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - ½ tsp
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Heat ½ tsp of oil in a pan, add red chillies. Roast them in low flame for 2 minutes until it turns crisp. Add hing and give a quick stir. Remove from pan once done and cool it down.
- In the same pan, roast urad dal and bengal gram dal in a medium low flame until golden brown. Remove from the pan once done and set aside.
- Again in the same pan, roast sesame seeds in a medium low flame until nice aroma comes and it starts spluttering. Remove from the pan once done and set aside.
- Firstly, blend roasted red chillies, urad dal, bengal gram dal, hing/asafoetida and salt. Grind all together to a coarse powder.
- Then add roasted sesame seeds and grind it until it mix well with other powdered dals. Don't grind sesame seeds for a long time as it may leave out oil.
- Transfer the ground powder to a plate and spread it. Add jaggery powder and mix well with a spoon. Cool it down and store in a air tight container.
- We always prefer coarsely grounded powder. You can finely ground it too.
- You can also add handful of curry leaves and few garlic cloves to make it more flavorful.
- Its medium spicy with the ingredients amount mentioned, adjust red chillies according to your preference and spice level of red chilies used.
- Make sure to roast the urad dal & Bengal gram dal well at the same keep an eye on the flame to not to burn it.
- Store the sesame powder in a air tight container and keep at room temperature. It stays well for a month if handled properly.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your kid.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your kid before you try this sesame powder.