Sambar Sadam/ Sambar Rice: Rice-lentils-Vegetables dish. Easy, quick, one pot wholesome meal made with pressure cooker. Its also known as bise bele bath in Karnataka, India. Traditionally sambar rice is prepared by cooking rice and lentils separate. But I found pressure cooking everything together is easy & quick, taste wise no compromise too. I am sure it won't disappoint you and is handy for busy moms.
Sambar sadam is mildly flavored , loaded with vegetables, smooth in texture and hence its ideal food for babies from 10 months after introducing rice, lentils and vegetables separately. Here is how to make easy sambar sadam recipe for babies, toddlers and kids.
Sambar Sadam Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - 1 cup
- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Small onions- 10 or Big Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1
- Vegetables* - 1 cup chopped
- Sambar powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Tamarind - small lemon size
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Corainder leaves - a handful
- Water - 4.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad dal - ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - few
* I used 1 carrot, 5 beans, handful of peas and 1 potato
- Slice onions, chop tomatoes finely. Wash and Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces. Slit green chillies. Roughly chop corainder leaves. Set aside.
- Soak Tamarind in 2 cups of warm water. Wash rice and toor dal together and soak it in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Then add urad dal and fenugreek seeds. Saute them until golden brown. Then add curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Then add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown. Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and become mushy.
- Add chopped veggies, sambar powder and required salt. Give a quick stir. Now mash the tamarind well and discard the thick pulp.
- Transfer the tamarind water to the pressure cooker. Then add soaked rice & dal mix well. Add corainder leaves. Give a quick stir.
- Add remaining water (2.5 cups of water) and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required.
- Small onions/shallots are recommended for sambar rice which gives a nice flavor and taste.
- I used homemade sambar powder. You could use store bought powder too.
- You can add ghee fried cashews at the end to make it more rich.
- Always serve this sambar rice hot or warm. Otherwise it will become dry.
- Any Normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this sambar rice.
- For 1 cup of rice and ½ cup of toor dal , 4.5 cups of water is sufficient with prior soaking of rice for 20 minutes. If you want it too mushy add 5 cups of water.
- Adjust spices & green chilli according to your preference.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.