Sabudana idli/ Sago Idli/ Javvarisi Idli/ Tapicoa Idli – a quick, no fermentation idlis are made with sabudana, idli rava(cream of rice/rice rava) and curd. Sabudana is loaded with carbohydrates and its light on stomach, hence its preferable when your child is down with fever, cold, cough or diarrhea. This idli is an quick and easy breakfast recipe you can make for a busy morning. I have referred the recipe from here and modified a bit to suit for my little ones taste buds. This sabudana idlis are little bland in taste, so serve it with sambar, chutney, dal or any tasty side dish of your choice! This can be given to babies after 10 months as a quick breakfast.
Other Sabudana Recipes for babies and Kids:
- Sabudana/ Sago/ Tapioca - ¾ cup
- Idli Rava - 1 cup
- Curd - 1.5 cup
- Cooking Soda/ Baking soda - ¼ tsp (optional)
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- For Tempering:
- Ghee -1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
- Cashews - 6
- Measure sabudana, idli rava and curd. Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash sabudana and add idli rava.
- Beat the curd and add to sabudana idli rava mix along with required water and salt. Mix everything together. Close the mixing bowl with a plate and let it soak overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Next day morning, mix everything well again. Add water if the idli rava absorbed most of the water content to make it idli batter consistency that is neither too thick nor thin. Then in a tadka pan, add ghee and mustard seeds. Let it cracks and then add broken cashews. Saute it until golden brown. Then add the tempered items to the sabudana idli batter.
- Now add baking soda (if using ) and start making idlis, pour the batter in each idli mould. Steam it with a cup of water for 15 to 20 minutes in medium flame.
- Check with a spoon, if it's coming clean, the Idlis are ready! Switch off the flame and remove from mould.
- This sabudana idli batter keeps well for a day or two.
- Sabudana idlis are soft even without baking soda, but you can add 1/4 tsp of baking soda for extra texture and softness.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of grated coconut to the batter while adding the tempering items for extra taste.
- Add powdered cashews for small babies to avoid choking hazard.
- Skip salt and baking soda for babies below one year.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredients separate to your baby, before you try this sabudana idli recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.