Sabudana Khichdi – easy and filling breakfast/snack recipe made with Sabudana/Sago/Tapioca/Javarisi, peanuts or cashews, and potatoes. This Sabudana Khichdi is a famous vrat/fasting recipe that’s also suitable for kids as it has carbohydrates which keep them energetic all day!
Peanuts are added in this khichdi to make it more nutritious. It is too soft, mild on the stomach, and hence apt when kids are down with illness (skip peanuts/cashews when preparing for sick kids ). Now Don’t underestimate the taste of this khichdi, it tastes equally good! This sabudana khichdi can be given to babies after eight months once they started eating a variety of foods. Serve this sabudana khichdi with plain curd, tastes great! Do check out the sabudana kheer recipe too.
Here is how to make easy sabudana khichdi recipe for babies, toddlers, and kids.
- Sabudana - 1 cup
- Fried de-skinned peanuts/ cashews - ¼ cup
- Potato - 1 small sized
- Green chillies - 1 (optional)
- Sugar - 1 tsp (optional)
- Lemon Juice - 2 Tsp
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Water - as needed
- Salt - as required
- To Temper:
- Oil - 1 Tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Urad dal - ¼ Tsp
- Chana dal - ½ Tsp
- Hing/ Asafoetida - ⅛ tsp
- Wash and Soak sabudana overnight in a wide bowl with water till it's immersed level. Don't add more water. Squeeze the water completely from sabudana once it's soft. Wash potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Set aside. Keep all the other ingredients ready. Chop onions, green chilies, and coriander leaves. Take the juice from a lemon and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the items to temper one by one. Saute until mustard and cumin seeds cracks. Then add green chilies and cubed potatoes, toss it well. Add 2 tbsp of water and cook it covered for 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Make sure the potatoes are soft enough to bite but not too mushy. In the meantime, blend peanuts/cashews to a coarse powder in a blender using pulse/mix option.
- Then add soaked sabudana pearls with sugar, grounded peanut/cashews and required salt. Mix well. Cook everything with continuous stirring for five minutes until the sabudana turns completely transparent and switch off the flame, add lemon juice & garnish with coriander leaves.
10 mins + 8 hrs overnight soaking
- Use big sabudana/sago variety for making this khichdi.
- Don’t add more water while soaking sabudana. Otherwise, khichdi will be too mushy.
- Make sure that sabudana is soft after soaking and then proceed, else the sabudana pearls would be hard to chew after cooking.
- You can either use cashews or peanuts powder as per your choice. For babies below one year, cashews are recommended as peanuts pose allergy risks.
- Any cooked vegetables can be used instead of potatoes.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Make sure the potatoes are soft enough to bite but not too mushy.
- Skip tempering part, green chilies, sugar and salt for babies below one year.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your baby before you try this sabudana khichdi.