Rice kheer with coconut is a yummy and easy dessert for babies, toddlers, kids and for the whole family! This is one of the easiest desserts which my mom makes it often and give as a after meal dessert. It tastes so delicious that you can relish every spoon! It’s also so quick to make with minimal ingredients that is easily available in your kitchen.
You can start giving this yummy rice kheer to your baby from 10 months and prefer this as a quick dessert. Do give a try and I hope your kid enjoy this rich delicious dessert! Now let’s get on to check this rice kheer recipe.
- Rice - 3 tbsp
- Powdered Jaggery - ½ cup
- Grated Coconut - ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Water - 2 and ½ cups
- Cardamom - 1
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cashews - few (for garnishing)
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Rinse rice well and soak it in water for at least 15 minutes. Measure jaggery and keep aside. I used organic jaggery without impurities, melt jaggery and strain water if using jaggery with impurities.
- In a mixer grind coconut and rice together to a coarse paste by adding little water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, take this coconut rice paste and add required amount water. Also add crushed cardamom and mix well. Now cook everything in a low flame for 10 minutes or until rice gets cooked well.
- Once the rice is cooked, add powdered jaggery or jaggery syrup. Mix well and cook until the kheer consistency is reached. It may take 5 minutes. Once done, add ghee fried cashews if desired and switch off the flame.
- Make sure to not to grind coconut rice paste finely, it has to be a coarse paste.
- For babies below 1 year, restrict with few spoons as its made with more jaggery.
- Skip whole cashews for small babies as they lead to choking hazard.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
- This rice kheer becomes thicker when cooled down. So switch off the flame when it is little thick.
- You could also add 1/4 cup of boiled milk for extra richness.