Rajgira porridge aka Amaranth Porridge is a tasty porridge recipe made with amaranth seeds and milk. This amaranth porridge is best when you are introducing amaranth seeds to your baby and can be given to babies from 6 months. You can blend this porridge in a mixer or blender if your baby doesn’t prefer the texture of amaranth grain. Check out more information on how and when to give amaranth for babies here with amaranth recipes.
Now let us get on to check how to make rajgira porridge for baby.
Amaranth Porridge Recipe for Babies and Toddlers |Rajgira Porridge
- Popped Amarnath Seeds/Rajgira - 1/4 cup
- Breastmilk/ Formula Milk/ Cows Milk - 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar/Dates syrup/ Jaggery Syrup- 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp optional
- Mixed Nuts/Nuts powder - 1 tbsp
- Wash the amaranth seeds and keep it ready. For babies below one year, prepare formula milk and keep it warm. If using cows' milk, boil it until frothy. Then add the washed amaranth seeds to the boiled milk/prepared warm formula milk.
- Mix well and cover the pot with a lid for 10 minutes. Keep it undisturbed. Open the lid, mix well once again.
- Add sweetener and ghee at this stage and mix well until the sweetener dissolves. Then add in a handful of nuts or nuts powder at this stage. Serve the porridge warm! For small babies, use only nuts powder and avoid whole nuts.
- If you prepare this porridge for a sick child, avoid ghee and nuts.
- Make sure to use well-popped amaranth seeds for this porridge. The porridge should be creamy and not too crunchy.
- You can Cook the porridge for a few minutes if using cow's milk.
- You can add fruits to this porridge along with nuts.
- Avoid cow's milk for babies below one year and use formula milk instead.
- Offer this porridge plain to your baby when you start. Try to avoid jaggery/ palm sugar/ palm jaggery or any sweetener at least till one year. Add minimal amount than mentioned or prefer sweet-tasting fruits/vegetables like apple, banana, carrot, etc. or dry fruits like dates or raisins.