I love all kheer recipes for its sweet taste and creaminess. When I was planning to do a dessert post, this pumpkin kheer came to my mind. This Pumpkin kheer is a yummy kheer made with pumpkins and flavored with cardamom and ghee. I make this pumpkin kheer often as this is being my baby's favorite now. This pumpkin kheer recipe can be given to babies of age one-year plus. Also, this is the best way to make kids eat this healthy veggie, pumpkin. Here is how to make pumpkin kheer recipe.
Pumpkin Kheer Recipe | How to make Pumpkin kheer | Desserts
- Pumpkin - ½ cup chopped
- Boiled Milk - ¾ cup
- Almonds - 4 optional
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Chopped nuts - 1 tsp optional for garnishing
- Water - as needed
- Wash pumpkin in running water well. Then peel the skin off from the pumpkin with a peeler and remove the seeds. Then chop them into equal size small cubes.
- Steam the chopped pumpkin pieces in a steamer for 15 minutes. In the meantime soak the almonds in ¼ cup of warm milk. You can steam it with Idli steamer plate by adding a cup of water or pressure cook it with a cup of water for two whistles. For both steaming and blending, I used Philips Avent Combined Steamer and Blender
- Once the pumpkins are steamed, it will be soft and transparent. Now blend it with soaked almonds along with the milk to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add pureed pumpkin. Boil it in low flame for 3 minutes.
- Then add the remaining ½ cup of milk, sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Simmer and boil it until the milk absorbs the pumpkin & keep stirring until the kheer becomes thick. Switch off the flame once the kheer consistency is reached. Top with chopped nuts and serve.
Here is the video of how to make pumpkin kheer
- Simmer and cook until the kheer gets thickens. That's the key to make best tasting kheer.
- Instead of steaming, you can pressure cook the pumpkins.
- You can skip almonds and make this kheer. But almonds give a nice flavor.
- If you are making this pumpkin kheer for babies, take care to chop the nuts finely to avoid choking.