Ridge gourd is called as Peerkangai in Tamil, Beerakai in Telugu and Torai in Hindi. It is rich in dietary fiber, low in saturated fat and contains good amount of vitamin C. It is very effective in purifying blood and hence it is good for skin too. It’s a healthy choice to include this vegetable in our diet at least once a week.
This peerkangai rasavangi/ ridge gourd gravy is made with channa dal, Moong dal and freshly ground spices. It is very simple to make and definitely a alternate to the usual Sambar.
- Ridge gourd - 1 medium sized
- Moong dal - ½ cup
- Channa dal - ¼ cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 6
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Corainder seeds - 1 tbsp
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Ghee -2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Wash the ridge gourd well and peel the skin off as shown in the picture. No need to completely remove the outer skin. Then chop them into cubes. set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the items given in the 'to roast and grind' table.Fry them until they turn golden brown. Once it cools down, add the fried spices to the mixer.
- Grind everything together to a coarse powder without adding water. Keep aside. Heat oil plus ghee in a tadka pan and add the items to temper. Fry them until mustard seeds cracks and urad dal turn brown. Then add curry leaves and fry for a minute. Switch off the flame. Keep this aside.
- Take moong dal, channa dal and chopped ridge gourd pieces, turmeric powder and required salt in a pressure cooker. Add water till it immersed level and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Once pressure released, open the cooker.
- Transfer the pressure cooked items to a pan and add a cup of water to it. Mix it well and boil the kuzhambu for 5 minutes. Then add the ground spice powder to the kuzhambu and mix slowly after without forming any lumps. Add water if needed.
- Boil the kuzhambu again for five more minutes in medium low flame. Once the kuzhambu becomes thick, transfer the tempered items to the boiling kuzhambu. Add lemon juice now. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Instead of pressure cooking the ridge gourd, you can boil it in a vessel with water.
- Add water if the kuzhambu becomes thick after adding ground spice powder.