Murungai Keerai (Moringa leaves in English) has lot of health benefits. It is the main source of iron and act as a blood purifier. Best for pregnant ladies and nursing moms.It is also Good to cure constipation and reduce body heat. So it is apt for the summer!!!
I like this greens not only for the health factor and for the unique taste as well. In childhood we used to have drumstick and drumstick leaves often as the drumstick tree was there near our house. But after moving to chennai, we couldn’t find this healthy leaves much in vegetable shops near our area. We had to request our veggie seller to get this leaves for its goodness and he makes sure that it’s available at least once a week. We consume this leaves as this stir-fry,soup,drumstick leaves sambar or murungai Keerai poricha kuzhambu.
Murungai Keerai Poriyal Recipe | Drumstick Leaves Stir Fry | StirFry recipes
- Murungai Keerai - 2 cups tightly packed
- Onion - 1 big sized
- Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Sugar - a pinch optional
- Salt - to taste
- Seasame Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Remove the drumstick leaves from the stalk and wash the greens twice.Keep aside.Chop the onion finely and make it ready.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper. Once mustard cracks and urad dal turns brown, add red chillies and fry for a minute. Now add the onions and sauté till it becomes transparent.
- Then add the drumstick leaves along with sugar & salt. Fry the drumstick in low flame until it shrinks in volume & gets cooked. This may take 5 to 7 minutes. No need to add water as the greens will leave out water.
- After the drumstick leaves got cooked, add coconut and mix well for 2 minutes. Once everything comes together, switch off the flame.