Mixed Lentils Sweet Pancakes /Vella Adai – healthy and tasty pancakes/ adai recipe for toddlers, kids and for the whole family. This south Indian delicacy is from my moms kitchen, this pancakes are filled with protein and iron as its prepared with mixed lentils and jaggery. This mixed lentils sweet pancakes is an ideal breakfast/dinner for kids and can be served plain or with fresh butter/ghee & jaggery as toppings. It can be given to kids after one year once they started eating all family foods. Also check out other dosa/pancake recipes for kids.
- Idli Rice/Raw Rice - 1 cup
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Bengal Gram Dal -4 tbsp
- Toor Dal - ½ cup
- Moong Dal - 1 tbsp
- Organic Jaggery powder -3/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder - ½ tsp
- Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Water - as needed
- Measure and Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and soak rice along with toor dal, moong dal, bengal gram dal and urad dal with enough water for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- After 3 hours or next day morning, Start grinding the soaked dals and rice by adding enough water to a slightly coarse batter. Then transfer the ground batter to a vessel.
- Add in powdered jaggery, cardamom powder and grated coconut to the ground batter. Mix well. The consistency of the batter should be slightly thicker than regular dosa batter.
- For making adai/pancakes, Heat a pan, spread the batter thick in circular motion. Sprinkle ½ tsp of ghee. Cook it in low medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Once done flip it and cook it for a minute. Remove from the pan once done.
1.Measure and Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and soak rice along with toor dal, moong dal, bengal gram dal and urad dal with enough water for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cook the pancakes in low medium flame for best results.
- Adjust sweetness as per your preference. With the above measurements, its moderately sweet.
- The final batter consistency should be slighly thick.
- Make the pancakes thick for a better taste.
- The batter can be stored for a day in refrigerator.
- Always check with your pediatrician before giving any new food.