Millet's provides so many health benefits to us compared to regular rice. Hence we can replace rice with Millet's wherever possible. There will not be much different in taste though. It's my first recipe with millet and hoping to try more in future. I have used Varagu (Kodo millet) to make this Pongal. The recipe is very simple and you can opt this for a easy breakfast. We simply loved this Pongal than our regular Kara Pongal.
Millet Pongal Recipe (Varagu Pongal / Kodo Millet Kara Pongal)
- Varagu/Kodo millet - 1 cup
- Moong dal - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- Water - 4 cups
- Ginger - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cashews - 5 splitted
- Take all your ingredients and chop the ginger finely. Wash the Varagu rice twice and keep it ready.
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee and add pepper, jeera. Once the pepper starts splutters, add curry leaves.
- Then add moong dal with ginger and saute for two minutes.
- Add turmeric powder at this stage and mix well.After that add the washed Kodo millet in and fry it for a minute.
- Add water and bring it to a boil.Now close the lid of the cooker and pressure cook it for four whistles in medium flame.
- In the meantime, Heat a tadka pan with ghee.Once the ghee is heated, add cashews and fry it till golden brown.Add the ghee fried cashews to the Pongal once pressure released from the cooker and mix well. Transfer to a serving plate!