Masala Vada/ Masal vada/Paruppu Vada/ Lentils fritters - crispy deep fried snack made with chana dal , onions, coriander leaves and cumin seeds. Lentils fritters is a famous snack in south India and its my favorite from childhood, especially during the rainy season and winters. I made vadas less spicy so its apt for kids. You can try this deep fried snack once in a while as a treat to your toddler or kid as a quick evening snack. Am sure they will enjoy it;)
Let's check how to make this crispy lentils fritters for toddlers and kids.
Masala Vada Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Chana Dal/ Bengal Gram Dal - ¾ cup
- Red chillies - 2
- Hing/ Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Onions - 1 medium sized
- Coriander leaves - ¼ cup
- Ginger - 1 teaspoon chopped
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - for deep frying
- Wash and Soak chana dal with enough water for 2 hours. After 2 hours drain the water completely and transfer it to a blender. Grind it to a coarse paste with red chilles and required salt. Add a tablespoon of water if necessary.
- The paste should be dry and coarse. Transfer the ground paste to a vessel. Chop onions, ginger and coriander leaves finely.
- Mix the ground chana dal with cumin seeds, chopped onions, coriander leaves and Ginger.
- Make a lime size ball from the batter and flatten it with your hands.
- Repeat the same process for remaining batter. Deep fry the vadas in the pre heated oil until golden brown.
- Do it in batches. Drain it in tissue paper to remove extra oil. Switch it off once done and serve.
- Don't grind the chana dal batter smooth. It should be coarse.
- Making small balls and flattening it gives crispier vadas.
- Add no water or a tablespoon of water while grinding.
- Adjust red chillies according to your preference.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.
Leave a Reply