Lemon Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - 3/4 cup
- Lemons - 2 medium sized
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- To temper:
- Sesame Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal / Bengal Gram Dal - 3/4 tsp
- Hing/ Astofedia - a generous pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Red chilli - 2
- Green chilli - 2
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Peanuts/ Cashews - 1.5 tbsp
- Wash rice thoroughly with water. Pressure cook rice in a medium flame for three to four whistles with required amount of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and set aside.
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Take juice from lemons and keep it ready.
- Heat a kadai with oil. Add all the items listed to temper. Let mustard seeds cracks and urad dal and Bengal gram dal turns brown. Then add curry leaves and peanuts /cashews (I haven't added this time). Let the cashews/peanuts turn golden brown. Then add red chillies and green chillies along with turmeric powder and required salt. Mix everything well and switch off the flame.
- Once the tempered items are cooled down, add lemon juice. Mix well. Now add cooked rice and mix using a fork slowly. Mix well until everything gets mixed well. Switch off the flame once done. Give at least 15 minutes resting time and serve!
- If the lemon is big and tangy, use only one.
- Make sure to add lemon juice only when the tempered items are cooled down completely. Otherwise it may tastes bitter.
- Adjust spices according to your preference.
- You can even make this lemon rice with left over cooked rice too.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- You can add powdered nuts instead of whole cashews/peanuts for small babies.
- For small babies mash the rice well and offer.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.