Jal jeera - its a popular north Indian drink, made during summers as an appetizer to improve digestion. Jal means water & jeera means cumin seeds in English. The refreshing drink also helps to cool the body and improving immunity. Jal jeera can be given to kids after one year (start with a small amount & skip tamarind). It believed to increase the appetite and ensure proper digestion during summer.
Now let's get on to check how to make jal jeera recipe for toddlers and Kids.
Jal jeera recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Mint leaves - a handful
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Ginger - 1 tsp finely chopped
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper - 4 corns
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind- 1 tsp or dry mango powder- 1/2 tsp
- Brown Sugar/palm sugar - 2 tsp
- Rock salt/ normal salt - a big pinch
- Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 3.5 cups
- Measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Rinse mint leaves & coriander leaves well. Set aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 5 minutes. Mash well and discard the thick pulp. Keep it ready.
- Now grind all ingredients except roasted cumin powder, lemon juice and water. Grind them to a fine paste as possible. If needed add little water.
- Once done, strain the mixture through a strainer. Now add water and sprinkle roasted cumin powder. Refrigerate the mix for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then pour the drink in glasses and serve.
Serve the jal jeera chilled.
For small kids, avoid using tamarind and add more lemon juice.
- For small kids, Make sure to strain the mix completely.
- This keeps well for a 4-5 days if refrigerated.
- You could give this drink once in a week to your kids.
- Add more water than mentioned if you find the recipe spicy or sour.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food to your baby.
- Increase sweetener if your baby demand sweet taste.
- Make sure to try this jal jeera recipe after introducing each ingredient separate to your kid.