Jaggery Rice/ Sweet Rice/ Gur Ke Chawal – simple and healthy rice variety made with rice, jaggery syrup, coconut and nuts. This jaggery rice is a winter special recipe made in north India which can be served as a snack/dessert or even as a meal for toddlers and kids. Its very delicious, but so easy to make and tastes somewhat similar to south Indian sweet pongal. This jaggery rice is ideal for babies from one year. Kids will really enjoy this yummy jaggery rice for sure! So What are you still waiting for, try it for yourself and little ones at home!
- Rice - ½ cup
- Jaggery - ½ cup
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Grated coconut- 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Cashews - 1 tbsp broken
- Raisins - 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder - ⅛ tsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Heat jaggery in a pan with ½ cup of
water .Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached.
- Measure and take the rice in a pressure cooker. Wash the rice well and add 1 cup of water. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles in medium flame. Open the cooker and fluff the rice with a fork once pressure released. Then Strain the jaggery water on the cooked rice using a strainer to remove impurities.
- Now heat the pressure cooker in
lowmedium flame until the jaggery syrup is absorbed by the rice. Once the jaggery syrup and rice combined well, add grated coconut, cardamom powderand dry ginger powder. Mix well. Cook it further for 2 minutes.
- Then add in 2 tbsp of ghee,
raisinsand broken cashews. Mix everything together.
- Switch off the flame once done. Serve the jaggery rice warm.
- Jaggery rice can be served with little warm milk. But it tastes great as such too.
- The colour of the jaggery rice depends on the jaggery variety used. I used dark brown colored jaggery here.
- I used basmati rice, you can use any rice variety based on the availability.
- Don’t make the jaggery syrup too watery, it should be slightly thick.
- You can adjust the jaggery quantity as per your likings.
- The jaggery rice shouldn’t be too mushy. Add water accordingly.
- You can add any nuts of your choice. Don’t add whole nuts for small babies.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your baby before you try this jaggery rice.