Fenugreek Seeds Dosa/Methi Dosa/ Vendhaya Dosai – healthy and tasty dosa recipe for toddlers and kids. Fenugreek seeds are called as Methi in Hindi, Menthulu in Telugu, Vendhayam in Tamil, Uluva in Malayalam, Menthe in Kannada. Its is one of the healthy seeds but often ignored when it comes to including them in our regular diet. Fenugreek seeds is a major source of folic acid and Vitamin A and known for its cooling properties. Hence fenugreek seeds are ideal to consume during summer.
Fenugreek Seeds dosa is very soft & tasty and it is one of the easiest way to include fenugreek seeds in kids diet and can be given to babies after one year (with curd or mild chutneys or sambar) or once the baby started eating all family foods. This fenugreek seeds dosa can be given to kids monthly twice during summer. Here I have listed some health benefits of fenugreek seeds and information on giving fenugreek seeds to toddlers and kids.
- It aids digestion if taken in moderation.
- Being rich in fiber helps to relive from constipation.
- Good for skin and hair
- Good for heart
Fenugreek seeds can be included in kids diet after one year, once the baby is introduced to all family foods. Do have a word with your baby’s doctor before you include fenugreek seeds to your baby’s diet as some babies might have allergic reaction to fenugreek. Fenugreek seeds are completely safe for children if taken in moderation and Please be aware that large dosages of fenugreek seeds is not advisable for children and it may cause loose motion and other allergic reactions. Hence use fenugreek seeds in moderate amounts by adding to your child’s meal.
Fenugreek Seeds Dosa Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Idli Rice/Any Rice variety - 2 cups
- Urad dal - 1/4 cup
- fenugreek seeds -2 tbsp
- Toor Dal - 1 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Crystal salt - 1 tsp or adjust as per taste
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Wash and soak rice with enough water for 3 hours. Then Wash and soak urad dal, Toor Dal & fenugreek seeds in a separate container with enough water for 3 hours.
- Start grinding the urad dal, toor dal with fenugreek seeds first by adding little water in frequent intervals. When the batter is smooth and fluffy, it's done. Then transfer the urad dal batter to a vessel.
- Now in the same blender take soaked rice and add enough water. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Now add the ground rice batter to the vessel in which you have added the urad dal batter. Add required salt. Mix well with your hands. Let it ferment for overnight or at least ten hours.
- Next day the batter should be raised as shown. Before making dosas , add required water to bring the dosa batter consistency that is neither thick nor thin. You can make dosas thick or thin as per your preference. Thick dosas are soft and thin dosa are crispy and soft as well. For thick dosas, Heat a pan, spread the dosa thick in circular motion. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of oil. Cook it for 2 minutes. Once done flip the dosa and cook it for a minute. Remove from the pan once done.
- For thin dosas, Heat a pan, spread the dosa thin in circular motion. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of oil. Cook it for 2 minutes. Once done flip the dosa and cook it for a minute. Remove from the pan once done.
- If you use high quality urad dal, use only 2 tbsp for 2 cups of rice.
- For small kids dip it in curd or mildly spiced sambar and offer.
- The batter will be little watery after grinding as we are using mixie. Next day after fermentation, it should be thick.
- Before making dosas , add required water to bring the dosa batter consistency.
- Use cold water to grind in order to avoid the motor heating.
- Always use hands to mix the batter that helps in better fermentation.
- Fermentation time will be more if you are living in a cold country.
- You could make this dosa’s thin or thick as per your preference, in both the ways it tastes good.
- Always check with your pediatrician before giving any new food.