Dry Ginger Coffee recipe - Dry Ginger/Sukku/ Sonth is a dried form of ginger which is used for various medicinal purposes such as improving digestion, reduce nausea, treats migraine headache and relive symptoms of common cold,cough & congestion in babies, toddlers, kids and adults. This dry ginger coffee or dry ginger concoction / Sukku Malli coffee is one of the home remedy used commonly in South India.
My mom used to make this coffee every weekend night without fail, it tastes heavenly when served with a dollop of ghee. In this post, I have given details about the health benefits of dry ginger, how to introduce dry ginger to babies, the method of preparing dry ginger coffee powder & dry ginger coffee at home.
- Dry ginger is highly beneficial in treating indigestion and stomach pain when taken as dry ginger coffee
- Cures throat infection, treats cold and cough in children because of its anti inflammatory properties
- Helps treating asthma in children.
- Enhances appetite
- cures tooth ache and mouth odor
When to introduce Dry Ginger for babies:
- When you introduce dry ginger coffee, give only 2-3 teaspoon per day at the maximum. Gradually increase the quantity to 2-3 tbsp. Also its recommended to give dry ginger coffee once in two weeks.
- For kids above three years, you can prefer this dry ginger coffee once in a week to prevent digestive issues or when the child is suffering with cold or cough.
- Always add required amount of sweetener in order to balance the spices,
Dry Ginger Coffee Recipe for Toddlers and Kids | Remedy for Cold and cough in Kids
- For Dry Ginger Coffee Powder:
- Dry Ginger Powder - ½ cup
- Coriander Seeds - ¼ cup
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- For Dry Ginger Coffee:
- Homemade Dry Ginger Powder - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Palm Sugar/Palm Jaggery/Jaggery - 2 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger Coffee Powder/ Sukku Malli Coffee Powder:
- Measure dry ginger powder, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper. Keep everything ready. Heat a pan and dry roast corainder seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper in low flame until the color changes and nice aroma comes.
- It may take 3-5 minutes. Switch off the flame once done. Once the dry roasted items are cooled down, grind them in a blender to a fine powder.
- After grinding, spread it in a plate along with dry ginger powder. Mix well.
- Then sieve the powder using a siever. Cool it down and store it in a airtight container.
- Dry Ginger Coffee/ Sukku Malli Coffee:
- Heat 2 cups of water in a saucepan with palm sugar/palm jaggery/ jaggery. When it starts to boil, add 2 teaspoon of dry ginger coffee powder. Mix well.
- Boil it further for 5- 7 minutes. Once done, add ghee and switch off the flame. Cool it down and strain the water using a strainer. Serve warm.
- This dry ginger powder can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. It keeps well for a month if handled properly.
- You can also add ¼ cup of milk to this dry ginger coffee after switching off the flame. The milk will get curdled if you add milk with the flame on.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Begin with small amount when you introduce this dry ginger coffee to your child and increase the amount gradually.
- This dry ginger coffee powder can be prepared with whole dry ginger too. Use 100 gms of whole dry ginger, peel the skin and grind them to a fine powder using a blender.
- You can also include this dry ginger coffee powder in little amount to your child's food.
- Make sure to use good and reliable brand of dry ginger powder to prepare this dry ginger coffee powder.
Tried the dry ginger coffee powder . Let's see how it works
Oh Great! Post your feedback too.
Hi. Just wanted to clarify one thing... Is this to be given only once in 2 weeks.. My baby is 19 months.. Just gave her 2 teaspoons last night ... Wanted to how often to give this? Thanks a lot
For 19 months baby you can give 2-3 tbsp of this coffee once in a week. When you introduce give only 2-3 tsp, based on your child's tolerance level you can gradually increase the quantity in tbsps.
Great . Thank you. Will definitely let u know the feedback!
Hello my baby is 6 months old and she seems to get cold and cough often. Can I give this to my baby ??
its suitable for babies from 8 months in a small amount. you can try ajwain water as of now : https://gkfooddiary.com/ajwain-water-baby-toddlers-kids-uses-health-benefits/
My kid is 2.5 yrs old. He is having cold since 3 weeks and now he has cough too. Can I give this ginger coffee to my kid? How many times can I give this to him? Please reply, my kid is not able to sleep in the night because of his cough. Also is there any homemade food which I can offer him to improve his immunity? I live in the USA and winter is bad here.
Thank you in advance.
Yes, you can give dry ginger coffee. Begin with a small amount. This might help:
Cold cough remedies: https://gkfooddiary.com/20-home-remedies-cold-cough-babies-toddlers/
cold cough foods: https://gkfooddiary.com/foods-to-offer-during-cold-cough-in-baby-toddler-and-kids/