Ajwain/Carom seeds/Omam/ thymol seeds/ bishops weed is a famous Indian spice that is used for medicinal purposes to heal digestive disorders, chronic constipation, colic symptoms and relieve cold, cough & congestion in babies, toddlers, kids, and even adults. In this post, I have given details about the health benefits of Ajwain, how to introduce ajwain to babies, how to select them and the method of preparing ajwain powder & ajwain water at home.
Health Benefits of Ajwain for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids:
- Ajwain is highly beneficial in treating repository problems like cold symptoms and chest congestion by inhaling the seeds or when taken as ajwain water.
- Efficient in treating asthma in children.
- Helps in treating digestive issues like stomach ache, gas, flatulence, acidity, etc.
- Enhances appetite
- Treats chronic constipation in babies or toddlers by acting as a laxative.
- Ajwain relieves colic symptoms in babies.
When to introduce Ajwain for babies:
Ajwain seeds can be included in babies diet from 8 months. When you start, you can give as ajwain water. Once the baby begins eating all family food, you can gradually include other ajwain recipes such as ajwain paratha, ajwain puri, etc.
How to select Ajwains :
Always choose organic ajwain seeds which are husk free and no chemicals.
How much amount of Ajwain water can be given to babies:
- For babies below one year, when you introduce ajwain water, feed only 2-3 teaspoon per day at the maximum. Gradually increase the quantity to 2-3 tbsp. Also, it's recommended to give ajwain water only 2-3 times a week for babies aged less than a year.
- For babies above one year, you can give ¼ cup per day. Also, it's recommended giving ajwain water only 3-4 times a week.
Now let's get on to check how to make ajwain powder and ajwain water for babies, toddlers, and kids.
Ajwain for Babies and Kids, Uses and Benefits
Ajwain for babies, toddlers, and kids - a detailed post on the health benefits of Ajwain, how to make Ajwain powder and ajwain water.
- For Ajwain Powder:
- Ajwain Seeds - ½ cup
- For Ajwain Water:
- Homemade Ajwain powder - ¼ Tsp
- Water - ½ cup
- Jaggery - ½ tsp optional
- Ajwain Powder:
- Measure ajwain seeds. Clean the seeds by discarding muds if any. Organic ajwain seeds won't have impurities in general. Heat a pan and dry roast ajwain seeds in low flame until crisp and nice aroma comes. It may take 3-5 minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
- Once the ajwain seeds are cooled down, grind them in a blender to a fine powder. Spread it in a plate, cool down and store it in an airtight container.
- Ajwain Water:
- Heat ½ cup of water in a saucepan. Add ¼ teaspoon of Ajwain powder When the water starts to boil . Mix well.
- Then add jaggery if using. Boil it further for 5 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and strain the water using a filter. Serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Mention @gkfooddiary or tag #gkfooddiary!
1. Measure ajwain seeds. Clean the seeds by discarding muds if any. Organic ajwain seeds won't have impurities in general. Heat a pan and dry roast ajwain seeds in low flame until crisp and nice aroma comes. It may take 3-5 minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
2. Once the ajwain seeds are cooled down, grind them in a blender to a fine powder. Spread it in a plate, cool down and store it in an airtight container.
1. Heat ½ cup of water in a saucepan. Add ¼ teaspoon of Ajwain powder Once the water starts to boil. Mix well.
2. Then add jaggery if using. Boil it further for 5 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and strain the water using a filter. Serve warm.
Ajwain water is ready to feed your baby.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Begin with a small amount and always serve ajwain in moderation.
- Ajwain water can be prepared with ajwain seeds too instead of Ajwain powder. The method and the quantity mentioned is the same. Refer the video given above for the method.
- You can also include this ajwain powder in a little amount to baby food.
- Make sure to use husk free ajwain seeds to prepare this ajwain powder or ajwain water.
- For babies below one year, give plain ajwain water without any sweetener.
Nice.. but one suggestion too.. with this, we can add 1 betal leaves also.. I am giving this to my daughter..
Yes we can add betal leaves for older kids. Thanks for your suggestion!
Hi.can I give this water regularly.my daughter is now 3+ years.she does not eat anything very lean and thin.weight is 9kg.plz answer me
yes 3-4 times a week you can give
Can I give this water for my son, he always has stomach problems can it be cured for cold as well he is now e 3 yrs 10 months old
yes you can give
Can I give ajwain water to my 2 month old baby
No. Only Breast milk or formula milk please.
My baby is 1 month old . She is having lot of gas in her tummy. What should I do to reduce gas.
1. Burp your baby after every feed
2. Certain kinds of foods which you eat may cause excess gas in babies. EX: potato, Bengal gram dal, etc. Find the same and try to avoid it
if you include ajwain in your diet everyday after meal, baby will recieve the benefits in breast milk. Hope that helps.
Also try eating prune and dates and baby will receive all the great benefits too !!
Can we give this water 12 mnth baby n how many times a day ???? Plz answer me
Yes. For babies below one year, when you introduce ajwain water, feed only 2-3 tsp per day at the maximum. Gradually increase the quantity to 2-3 tbsp. Also, it’s recommended to give ajwain water only 2-3 times a week for babies aged less than a year.
For babies above one year, you can give 1/4 cup per day. Also, it’s recommended giving ajwain water only 3-4 times a week.
Can I give ajwain water in formula milk??
Better not to..you can give it plain..or try to mix with khichdi or any other porridge's..
Can I give water for my 6 month old baby
Yes, you can give plain water after a meal or when required.
Can I give water for my 6 month old baby
Can I give to my 6 mnth old baby nd plz tell me how many times shld I give....answer plz
Yes, you can give minimal amount say 1-2 tsp per day. Weekly twice if it suits your baby.
Can i give my 3 month old baby ajwain water to cure his congestion
No ajwain water is suitable to the baby from 6 months
Can I give ajwain to my 10 month old to increase her appetite ?
yes you can
My baby is 2 year old .iam giving daily one pich ajwain boiled water is there any problm
No harm. But I would not suggest anything on a daily basis. Weekly 4-5 times should be good.
I have prepared homemade sathu maavu for my 10 month old baby but unfortunately ajwain quantity has increased in it(above the required quantity ) .. can we give that mix daily?
Did you add ajwain to sathu maavu mix? How much did you add?
i have added 50gms where all others are 100gms(brown rice 250gms)
Fifty gms is too much amount. It is better to not to give for babies.
can i give a 10 month old homemade sathu maavu in which ajwain content exceeded on daily basis?
Hi, my son is 11 months old and from last night hez a bit uncomfortable and from morning hez vomiting and hez very uneasy. Can i give ajwain water in this case?
Pls help and clarify
Yes sure, you can give in small amount say 1/4 cup. do check with a doctor if it continues
Hello, my daughter is 2 years old. She's having constipation from several months. I went to doctor but not get good results.the problem is same.pls tell me what can I do?
try these remedies: https://gkfooddiary.com/30-home-remedies-for-constipation-in-babies-toddlers/
Hi.. After diarrhea stopped.. During recovering can we give ajwain water to get relief from gas to 2 year old..
yes in small amount
Can you please tell me what is the exact measurements (240 / 250 ml)? You have used 1/2 cup water in the recipe.
Thanks in advance
1/2 cup is 120 ml
Can I give this water for my baby who struggles to eat twice a week of more she is 11 months she hardly feels hungry but very active
Yes, you can give it. begin with a small quantity
Can I give ajwain seeds instead of ajwain water to my daughter of 12 years of age and in how much quantity?please suggest
Yes, Better to give boiled ajwain seeds max 1 spoon