Health Benefits of Ajwain for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids:
- Ajwain is highly beneficial in treating repository problems like cold symptoms and chest congestion by inhaling the seeds or when taken as ajwain water.
- Efficient in treating asthma in children.
- Helps in treating digestive issues like stomach ache, gas, flatulence, acidity, etc.
- Enhances appetite
- Treats chronic constipation in babies or toddlers by acting as a laxative.
- Ajwain relieves colic symptoms in babies.
When to introduce Ajwain for babies:
How to select Ajwains :
How much amount of Ajwain water can be given to babies:
- For babies below one year, when you introduce ajwain water, feed only 2-3 tsp per day at the maximum. Gradually increase the quantity to 2-3 tbsp. Also, it’s recommended to give ajwain water only 2-3 times a week for babies aged less than a year.
- For babies above one year, you can give 1/4 cup per day. Also, it’s recommended giving ajwain water only 3-4 times a week.
Ajwain for Babies and Kids, Uses and Benefits
- For Ajwain Powder:
- Ajwain Seeds - 1/2 cup
- For Ajwain Water:
- Homemade Ajwain powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Jaggery - 1/2 tsp optional
- Ajwain Powder:
- Measure ajwain seeds. Clean the seeds by discarding muds if any. Organic ajwain seeds won't have impurities in general. Heat a pan and dry roast ajwain seeds in low flame until crisp and nice aroma comes. It may take 3-5 minutes. Switch off the flame once done.
- Once the ajwain seeds are cooled down, grind them in a blender to a fine powder. Spread it in a plate, cool down and store it in an airtight container.
- Ajwain Water:
- Heat 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan. Add 1/4 tsp of Ajwain powder When the water starts to boil . Mix well.
- Then add jaggery if using. Boil it further for 5 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it down and strain the water using a filter. Serve warm.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your baby.
- Begin with a small amount and always serve ajwain in moderation.
- Ajwain water can be prepared with ajwain seeds too instead of Ajwain powder. The method and the quantity mentioned is the same. Refer the video given above for the method.
- You can also include this ajwain powder in a little amount to baby food.
- Make sure to use husk free ajwain seeds to prepare this ajwain powder or ajwain water.
- For babies below one year, give plain ajwain water without any sweetener.