Drumstick and brinjal are always a winning combo, as we can put either in sambar, Kara Kuzhambu, or curry! I love this combination and hence this curry. It's a simple recipe with essential ingredients & no tedious chopping work! This curry goes well with sambar, rasam, or any Kuzhambu. But we love to have it with curd rice!
Drumstick Brinjal Curry (Murungaikka Kathrikka Kari)
- Brinjal - 2 large
- Drumstick - 2 nos
- Onion - 1 small
- Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Sambar powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Split urad dal - 1 tsp
- Gingely oil - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Channa dal - 1 tsp
- Wash drumsticks and brinjals well. Keep it immersed in water till use. Chop the onion and keep aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Once mustard cracks and the dals turn golden brown , add curry leaves and saute for a minute. Then add onion and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Now add drumsticks and brinjals along with sambar powder. Add salt and mix well for a minute.
- Add a cup of water and cook covered the curry in medium low flame for ten minutes. Saute it every now and then in order to avoid burning. Once everything got cooked and comes together, mix it slowly for a minute.
- Add grated coconut now and fry it for two minutes. Then switch off the flame.