Dahi Poha/ Thayir Aval - an easy and humble dish made with poha aka flattened rice, curd/yogurt and cucumbers. This recipe is also known as gopalkala which is prepared as a special offering to god on the occasion of Janmashtami. I have made this simple recipe last week for the Janmashtami festival and thought to share it on the special day. But I couldn't post due to personal commitments. I am sure this dahi poha recipe is apt for kids any day as its tastes very much like curd rice! It's such a easy recipe to make within 15 minutes & no cooking is required (if you skip the tempering part) , hence its ideal for travel too. It can be served as a quick lunch for babies from 8 months. Also check the sweeter version of dahi poha recipe if you are interested.
Dahi Poha Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids | Gopalkala
- Poha/Chura - 1 cup
- Curd/Yogurt/Dahi - 2 cups
- Grated carrot - 2 tbsp
- Cucumber - 2 tbsp chopped
- Corainder leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
- Salt - as required
- To Temper:
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Jeera/cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Astofedia/ Hing - a pinch
- Measure poha and curd. Keep it ready along with other ingredients. Soak poha in water 5 minutes. I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer time. Keep the soaked poha ready.
- Heat ghee in a tadka pan, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and hing. Let the cumin seeds cracks. Switch it off once done. Set aside. Now add the curd to soaked poha.
- Mix the curd with poha well. Then add grated carrots and chopped cucumber. Mix everything together with a spoon.
- Finally add the tempered items to the curd poha mix. Mix well and serve.
- I used thick poha variety and it was soft enough to mash with 5 minutes of soaking. Thin variety poha might take little longer.
- Skip salt for babies below one year. You can also skip the tempering part too.
- You can skip carrots too.
- Add finely chopped green chilli if you want to add spiciness.
- For small babies, add cooked carrots and cut the cucumbers into tiny pieces or add mashed cucumbers instead.
- Make sure to introduce each ingredients separate to your baby, before you try this dahi poha recipe.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.