Curry leaves powder or Karuveppilai podi - powdered mix of lentils, spices and curry leaves, tastes best with steamed rice, idlies and dosa varieties. Curry leaves provide numerous health benefits, but often ignored by many, especially kids! This curry leaves powder is one of the best way to make kids eat this healthy leaves. I have sourced this recipe from a cook book and modified to suit my little ones taste buds.
This curry leaves powder can be given to kids after 1.5 years or once they started eating little spicy foods and joined eating with the family. Make sure to adjust the spices according to your child's tolerance level. You can simply mix 2 tsp of this curry leaves powder, ghee/sesame oil to a hot steamed rice and offer your kids. It also goes well with idli/dosa. Here is how to make curry leaves powder or Karuveppilai podi recipe for toddlers and kids.
Curry Leaves Powder Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Curry leaves - 1 cup tightly packed
- Urad dal - 1/8 cup
- Bengal gram dal - 1/8 cup
- Toor Dal - 1/8 cup
- Black Pepper Corns - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Red chillies - 3 to 4
- Hing - 1/8 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Wash curry leaves in running water well. Pat dry them with a kitchen towel.
- Spread the curry leaves in a wide plate and dry them up under sun/shade for 1 hour or until no moisture remains. In the meantime, heat a pan, add pepper corns and cumin seeds together. Dry roast them in low flame for 2 minutes until pepper corns sputters. Add hing and give a quick stir. Remove from pan once done and cool it down.
- Then add red chillies and dry roast them until crisp. Remove from the pan once done and set aside. Then dry roast urad dal, toor dal and bengal gram dal in a medium low flame until golden brown. Remove from pan once done and cool it down.
- In the same pan, roast sun dried curry leaves in a medium low flame until it turns crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Firstly, add roasted pepper, cumin seeds, red chillies, salt, hing and dals in a blender. Grind all together to a coarse powder.
- Then add roasted curry leaves and grind it until it mix well with other powdered dals. Transfer the corsely powdered curry leaves powder to a plate and spread it. Cool it down and store in a air tight container.
- We always prefer coarsely grounded powder. You can finely ground it too.
- Its medium spicy with the ingredients amount mentioned, adjust pepper corns and red chillies according to your preference.
- Make sure to roast the urad dal, toor dal & Bengal gram dal well at the same keep an eye on the flame to not to burn it.
- Store the curry leaves powder in a air tight container and keep at room temperature. It stays well for 1 month if handled properly.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your kid.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your kid before you try this curry leaves powder.