Coriander rice/ Cilantro rice – a flavorful aromatic rice made with coriander leaves, perfect for lunch box. I am a big fan of variety rice, pulaos and biryani, This is one of the easiest rice variety you can make when you run out of time. It tastes so good with onions, tomatoes, garlic and coriander leaves! This coriander rice can be given to babies after one year and once the baby is start eating with the family!
Here is how to make easy coriander rice recipe for toddlers and kids.
Corainder Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - 3/4 cup
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch or 1 cup tightly packed
- Mint leaves - a handful
- Bengal gram dal - 2 tsp
- Small Onions - 6 or 1 small sized big onion
- Garlic cloves- 4 finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli - 1 optional
- Green chilli - 1 optional
- Wash rice throughly with water. Pressure cook rice in a medium flame for three to four whistles with required amount of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and set aside.
- Wash and roughly chop coriander leaves & mint leaves. Keep aside. Slice onions, tomatoes & chop garlic finely. Chop green chillies. Set aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add bengal gram dal, saute it until golden brown. Then add coriander & mint leaves. Fry them until it shrinks. Switch off the flame once done and cool it down.
- Then Grind fried coriander leaves, mint leaves and bengal gram dal with little water to a fine paste. Keep it ready.
- Heat a kadai with remaining oil. Add all the items listed to temper. Let cumin seeds crackle and urad dal turns brown. Then add onions and chopped garlic along with green chillies (if using). Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add tomatoes and fry until mushy.
- Then add ground coriander mint bengal gram dal paste. Add required salt. Give a quick stir. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until oil leaves from sides. Switch off the flame once done and cool it down.
- Mix the coriander gravy with cooked rice using a fork slowly. Mix well until the gravy is well coated with rice. Give at least 15 minutes resting time and serve.
Serve the coriander rice with curd or any stir fry of your choice!
- You can also add ghee fried cashews.
- You can even make this coriander rice with left over cooked rice too.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate before you try this coriander rice to your baby.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- For small babies mash the rice well and offer. Skip green chilli, red chilli for small babies if they can’t tolerate them.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.