Chana/channa/chole biryani is a healthy protein packed wholesome meal can be made under 40 minutes. Channa/white chickpeas is my favorite and will be in our weekly menu for its goodness. I usually make chana Sundal or chana masala for Chapati. I saw this recipe in a magazine and was way too tempted to try this quick version of healthy chana biryani. I altered the recipe to suit our taste buds. It turned out so good and for sure I will be going to make this often.
Chana Biryani Recipe | How to make Channa Biryani
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- White Channa - ½ cup
- Onion - 1 large sized
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as required
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 1 medium sized
- Green chillies - 1
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Mint leaves - ⅛ cup
- Corainder leaves - ⅛ cup
- Coconut grated - ¼ cup
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 1
- Soak chana in water for at least 7 hours or overnight. Then pressure cook the channa for 5 whistles in medium flame. Once pressure released from the cooker, collect the cooked chana in a bowl and keep aside.
- Take all the ingredients under to grind in a blender without adding water and grind it to a smooth paste. Set aside. Measure 1 cup of rice and wash it well in running water. Soak the rice in water for at least half an hour.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, & cardamom. Fry for a minute and then add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown. Once onions becomes transparent, then add the ground masala paste.
- Mix it well and stir it for three minutes. Now add red chilli powder,coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix them together and fry them for five minutes. Then add pressure cooked channa and mix well with the gravy. Saute them for 3 minutes.
- Once the channa is well coated with the gravy, add soaked basmati rice and mix well.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of pressure cooker and cook everything in low medium flame for three whistles. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and add lemon juice and top with ghee if required.
3. Once the channa is well coated with the gravy, add soaked basmati rice and mix well.
- Pressure cooking the channa separately is important as the Channa takes time to cook.
- Add ½ cup of coconut milk instead of water for variation. In that case make the water measurement to 1 cup.
- Any bean variety can be used to make this biryani.
- Soak the rice at least for 30 minutes or even 1 hour. Soaking the rice as much as possible gives soft and fluffy biryani.