Carrot rice/ carrot sadam- a healthy meal made with carrots and little spices, which is apt for lunch box. I think each one has their own version of carrot rice and here is mine. I have grown up eating this carrot rice at least once in a week as it's my one of the childhood favorite meal:). It's such a easy pretty fast meal which you can serve your kids whole heatedly. This carrot rice can be given to babies after one year or once the baby is started eating with the family!
Carrot Rice Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Rice - ¾ cup
- Carrots - 2 medium sized
- Onions - 1 medium sized
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder - ¼ tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - as required
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Ghee/Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp
- Cashews - 8
- Wash rice thoroughly with water. Pressure cook rice in a medium flame for three to four whistles with required amount of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a spoon slowly and set aside.
- Wash and peel the skin of carrots. Grate them using a grater. Then roughly chop coriander leaves & mint leaves. Keep aside. Slice onions. Set aside.
- Heat a kadai with Ghee/oil. Add all the items listed to temper. Let cumin seeds crackle and cashews turns brown. Then add onions. Saute them nicely until golden brown.
- Once onions becomes transparent , add grated carrots along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Add required salt. Give a quick stir. Cook for 5-7 minutes in low medium flame or until the raw smell of carrots leaves.
- Now add cooked rice and mix using a fork slowly. Mix well until everything gets mixed well. Switch off the flame once done and garnish with coriander leaves. Give at least 15 minutes resting time and serve.
- Instead of red chilli powder and garam masala, sambar powder can be used.
- You can even make this carrot rice with left over cooked rice too.
- Any normal cooking rice can be used to prepare this rice.
- For small babies mash the rice well and offer.
- Always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.